Applying undergraduate physics programs

In summary, the person is asking for opinions on which undergraduate physics programs they should apply to, mentioning U Minnesota, RPI, U Rochester, and Colorado School of Mines. They have already applied to 5 other schools and are considering adding UMBC and U of Maryland to their list. They are concerned about tuition costs and mention the weather in College Park.
hanks721
Hi, I'm applying undergraduate physics programs, and I want to ask your opinion on where you would go among the schools I'm considering to apply. The program (physics) is obviously my priority concern. Other than that, maybe the area; beautiful town, campus, and so on (I really wanted to apply some UC schools because they're good schools also the area is beautiful, I heard. But the deadlines are already passed :cry:..)

U Minnesota
RPI
U Rochester
Colorado School of Mines

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, maybe I should ask "If you apply two of them, which would those be?"
I've already applied 5 schools (UPenn, Cornell, MIT, UChicago, UIUC) but I realized maybe I should apply some "safe" schools. However, most of the schools have March deadlines. I'm going to apply UWashington, Maryland, and NWU.
So I was wondering which 2 of the 5 schools would you apply? Anyone? please??

If you are going to be applying to U of Maryland, I would recommend that you apply to University of Maryland, Baltimore County(UMBC) as well. They are much cheaper than U of Maryland and they are one of the up-and-coming Universities in the nation. Also, they are #2 in the nation for NASA funding...

Here is where I found the info that claims they are #2 for NASA funding..http://www.umbc.edu/research/About/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with se7en. UMBC is a solid school. I prefer Maryland, College Park, but I go there, so I may be somewhat biased. Also, where do you live? U. of Maryland is pretty expensive to out-of-state students.

Thanks se7en and SpiffyKavu!
I live in Boston, MA. Right the economy is bad so tuition really matters. But the schools I've already applied are also really expensive ones. I feel sorry to my parents for that reason. All I can do is studying hard, trying to get out as much as I can.

SpiffyKavu said:
I agree with se7en. UMBC is a solid school. I prefer Maryland, College Park, but I go there, so I may be somewhat biased. Also, where do you live? U. of Maryland is pretty expensive to out-of-state students.
Quick question for SpiffyKavu.
Is weather nice over there in College Park? I'm really tired of Boston's cold weather. Is it sunny?

Related to Applying undergraduate physics programs

What is an undergraduate physics program?

An undergraduate physics program is an academic program that focuses on the study of the fundamental laws of nature, including motion, energy, and matter. It typically involves coursework in areas such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

What are the benefits of studying undergraduate physics?

Studying undergraduate physics can provide a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It can also lead to a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, teaching, and technology.

What are the prerequisites for applying to an undergraduate physics program?

The specific prerequisites for an undergraduate physics program may vary depending on the institution, but generally include high school coursework in math and science, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT.

What should I look for in an undergraduate physics program?

When considering an undergraduate physics program, it is important to research the curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and facilities available at the institution. It may also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program.

What can I do with an undergraduate degree in physics?

An undergraduate degree in physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia or industry, engineering roles, teaching positions, and opportunities in technology and data science. It can also serve as a strong foundation for pursuing graduate studies in physics or related fields.