Applying to Math Grad school in Canada and the US

In summary, the speaker is a Canadian math undergrad at Caltech who is applying to grad school in both Canada and the US. They are unsure of their chances due to some early struggles in their academic record, but have since improved and taken advanced classes in their areas of interest. They are wondering if grad schools will take into account their GPA improvement over time, as well as if Canadian schools require a Masters degree before admission to a PhD program. They are also considering applying to top PhD programs in the US after obtaining a Masters degree.
jpa14
I’m a math undergrad at Caltech. I’m applying to grad school soon and since I’m a Canadian citizen I’ll be applying to grad school in Canada. I’ll also be applying to some top programs in the United States, but I’m very unsure of my chances.

The thing is, due to a combination of personal issues and the fact that I wasn’t as good of a student back then as I am now, there were several terms in late frosh year/early sophomore year where I didn’t do very well. That is why, despite the fact that my GPA has ranged between 3.5 and 3.9 for the last four terms, my overall is only 3.2, and there are some pretty ugly dents in the early part of my transcript.

I’m quite sure I can get good letters of recommendation from my research mentors, since I am doing research this summer and it is going well. I’m hoping to be able to get into a top program in Canada for number theory/algebraic geometry. Am I likely to be accepted into somewhere like Waterloo or UofT or UBC for this?

I’m less sure about Berkeley/MIT/Stanford etc. etc. My question is:

-Will grad schools take into account this GPA improvement over time?

-My GPA is also heavily slanted towards things that I like and am interested in. I’m leaning towards either number theory/algebraic geometry or descriptive set theory/mathematical logic. My GPA was damaged slightly by not doing very well in my undergraduate analysis requirement and the one term differential geometry requirement which I profoundly disliked, but I took five yearlong graduate classes in commutative algebra/algebraic number theory and class field theory/algebraic geometry/axiomatic set theory/mathematical logic and computability theory and the lowest grade I got in anyone term of any of them was A-. Is this the sort of thing that grad schools are likely to take into account?

Also, don’t Canadian grad schools expect students to do a Masters first, unlike in the US? If that is true, and presuming I did well enough in that, if I applied to a top PhD program in the US after that, would I have a decent chance of being accepted? By then, my full undergraduate transcript would be available, which means two extra terms of improved grades in Senior year to make up for a poor couple of terms frosh/sophomore year.

Thanks, I apologize for the brick wall of text.

Physics news on Phys.org
Grad schools will definitely take into account the improvement in your grades over time, especially if you can explain why you struggled in the early years. Depending on the program and school, they may also take into account the fact that you have taken more advanced classes in the areas you are interested in, even if they were not required for your degree. As for Canadian schools, some may require a Masters degree before admission to a PhD program, but others may accept you directly. It would be best to check with individual schools to see what their requirements are. Ultimately, your chances of being accepted into top programs in Canada or the US will depend on your academic record, research experience, letters of recommendation, and other aspects of your application. Good luck!

Related to Applying to Math Grad school in Canada and the US

1. What are the minimum requirements for applying to math grad school in Canada and the US?

The exact requirements may vary between universities, but in general, applicants are expected to have a strong academic background in mathematics and related subjects, as well as a high GPA (typically 3.0 or above). Most schools also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

2. Do I need to have a specific undergraduate degree to be eligible for math grad school?

No, most universities do not have specific undergraduate degree requirements for their math graduate programs. However, it is important to have taken a variety of advanced math courses during your undergraduate studies to demonstrate your proficiency in the subject.

3. What are some tips for writing a successful personal statement for math grad school?

Your personal statement should showcase your passion for mathematics, your research interests, and your goals for graduate studies. Be sure to highlight any relevant experiences or achievements, and explain why the specific program you are applying to is a good fit for you.

4. How important are letters of recommendation in the application process?

Letters of recommendation are an important factor in the admissions process, as they provide insight into your academic abilities and potential for success in graduate studies. It is recommended to choose recommenders who can speak to your strengths and qualifications for math graduate school.

5. Are there any funding opportunities for international students in math grad school?

Yes, many universities offer funding opportunities for international students in the form of scholarships, fellowships, or assistantships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process, as they can greatly offset the cost of graduate studies.