Applying for grad school and Fulbright at the same time

In summary, the individual is considering applying for both grad school and the Fulbright program in the same year and is concerned about the workload. They are currently in their third year of undergrad with a 3.4 GPA and have research experience. They are interested in high energy physics and have contacts for a lab in their target country for the Fulbright project. They plan to study for the GRE and work on applications over the summer and complete them during the fall quarter. It is mentioned that applying for fellowships like the Fulbright while also applying for grad school and then deferring for a year is common, but the fellowships are very competitive. It is also noted that 6 grad school applications may not be enough and starting early can make
geosynchronous
I want to go to grad school. I also want to do the Fulbright program. Is it possible to apply for these both in the same year, or will I go insane from the amount of work it takes? If I'm accepted to both, I would go on the Fulbright and defer grad school for a year.

A little about me: I'm in my third year of undergrad at a highly ranked private university in the US. I have a 3.4 gpa, and ~2 years of research experience during the school year, plus an international research internship last summer and an REU coming up this summer. I'm female, if that matters. I haven't taken the GRE yet. I am interested mostly in high energy physics, but I've done some astrophysics research too. I haven't decided where I want to go to grad school, but I expect to apply to 6 or so programs. I also haven't solidified a research project for the Fulbright, but I have contacts with a lab in my target country.

I am planning to study for the GRE and start the application process (figuring out who to ask for recommendation letters, starting to write the essays, and writing up the Fulbright project) over the summer, alongside my REU. When I get back to school in the fall, I'll take the GRE and finish the applications. Is it reasonable to expect that I will be able to complete all these applications at once during fall quarter, or is that an overwhelming amount of work? Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
The people I know who won fellowships like that applied while they were applying for grad school and then deferred for a year (they had accepted the grad school offer). Be aware that those fellowships are incredibly competitive though.

Depending on where you are applying, 6 grad school apps may not been enough. If you get started early, grad school apps aren't too bad though. I did 12.

Related to Applying for grad school and Fulbright at the same time

1. Can I apply for grad school and the Fulbright program at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to apply for both programs simultaneously. However, it is important to carefully consider the time and effort required for each application and make sure you can manage both processes effectively.

2. Will applying for both programs increase my chances of being accepted?

Applying for both programs does not necessarily increase your chances of being accepted. Each program has its own unique criteria and selection process, so it is important to focus on submitting strong applications for each program individually.

3. Can I receive funding from both programs if I am accepted?

It is highly unlikely that you will receive funding from both programs. The Fulbright program is a fully-funded scholarship, while grad school funding may vary depending on the program and institution. It is important to research the funding options for each program and make a decision based on your individual needs.

4. Should I mention my intention to apply for both programs in my applications?

It is not necessary to mention your intention to apply for both programs in your applications. Each program has its own selection process and mentioning your plans to apply for both may not have a significant impact on your application.

5. How can I manage my time effectively when applying for both programs?

It is important to create a schedule and plan out your time accordingly. Make sure to set aside specific blocks of time for each application and prioritize tasks based on their deadlines. Additionally, seeking help from mentors or peers can also help you manage your time effectively.