Applying again to the same company

• Engineering
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    company
In summary: You would need to speak with the interviewer from the first interview to get a sense of their thoughts on you.
EngWiPy
Hi! Suppose I did an interview with a company, and they decided not to offer me a job at the end. My question is: would they consider me if I applied to another position withing the same company in the future, or they keep a record of me, and because they rejected me in the past, then they wouldn't consider me again for another position? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
That they found a better candidate last time does not mean they will this time. A common misconception when applying for jobs is that not getting a particular position is a rejection of you as a job seeker. It just means they found another candidate they believed more in. (If you know they decided not to fill the position for lack of qualified applicants it is another issue, but even then you may qualify for other positions.)

Likes russ_watters, CWatters, OmCheeto and 2 others
Depending on company size and organization, for example does it have a human resources (HR) department or hire contractors for HR, technical resumes are filed and stored for some time period after a position is filled. The difficulty for the individual job-seeker is whether your resume will "pop up" when another position opens. Two general rules apply:
  1. immediately follow up an interview by communicating with each interviewer if only to thank them for the consideration. Use the information you received from the interview.
  2. tailor your cover letter and resume items to fit the next open job description.
Rule 1 provides social continuity after the interview, indicates professionalism and could open channels to hiring managers when another position opens. Personal contacts made during the interview process could inform you about internal job postings that may not be published outside the company.

Submitting an updated resume and cover letter for a subsequent job opening may also help HR and hiring managers notice your entry. That first interview exposed you to the company but also gave you a look inside the culture and company organization.

Likes WWGD
EngWiPy said:
Hi! Suppose I did an interview with a company, and they decided not to offer me a job at the end. My question is: would they consider me if I applied to another position withing the same company in the future, or they keep a record of me, and because they rejected me in the past, then they wouldn't consider me again for another position? Thanks in advance
You need to judge this on your own. You need to know hopefully from the company, if you are still a potential candidate for the same or different future position with the company. Did you believe you were a good and likely hireable candidate for what you interviewed for ? If yes, and you were basically comfortable with the interviewer and the company, and the position, then you should inquire in the future or apply again - just not too soon! Give at least one year of time. To apply too soon after your interview would be thoughtless and a possible nuisance.

Agree with Oroduin.
For all you know, you were better than 998 other candidates and they just happened to find the one guy more suitable at the time.

Don't agree with symbolipoint. You said it was for a different position. That is not a nuisance. It is perfectly within reason to reapply. In fact, I'd make a point of mentioning it. It may enable you to jump the line.

Likes OmCheeto
DaveC426913 said:
Agree with Oroduin.
For all you know, you were better than 998 other candidates and they just happened to find the one guy more suitable at the time.

Don't agree with symbolipoint. You said it was for a different position. That is not a nuisance. It is perfectly within reason to reapply. In fact, I'd make a point of mentioning it. It may enable you to jump the line.
The risk is that if job seeker quickly applies for a different position, unlike the previously interviewed-for-and-applied-for one, the employer might not find the job seeker as credible in the application. Things vary, so that would not be the end of it automatically.

symbolipoint said:
The risk is that if job seeker quickly applies for a different position, unlike the previously interviewed-for-and-applied-for one, the employer might not find the job seeker as credible in the application.
I don't follow.
What does he 'risk' losing by applying for the second job?

DaveC426913 said:
I don't follow.
What does he 'risk' losing by applying for the second job?
Depends on how the employer or the interviewer views the application for the different job. They might not take the new attempt seriously, as to think candidate is just trying to get any job. Not all employers are so narrow or cynical. Employer may wonder, "is this person serious, or just trying to get any job". Some will become suspicious if you later try to apply for some job for which you are seen as overqualified; and then employer will hire someone "whose exerience and training more closely match the job qualifications".

There WAS a time when I applied for a lesser-titled position with a company, and this was for a company to which I had several months previously had interview for a professional level position. The second interviewer meeting, the interviewer suggested, "maybe you should look for a professional level position"; but that was not the job currently under discussion at this second interview. I also, between the time of the two separate interviews, did spend time employed at a professional level lab job.

Likes Natuurfenomeen22
symbolipoint said:
Depends on how the employer or the interviewer views the application for the different job. They might not take the new attempt seriously, as to think candidate is just trying to get any job.
You point out a potential reason why the odds might go down, but it does not affect whether or not the OP should re-apply.

Even if it were true, the OP has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

symbolipoint said:
Depends on how the employer or the interviewer views the application for the different job. They might not take the new attempt seriously, as to think candidate is just trying to get any job. Not all employers are so narrow or cynical. Employer may wonder, "is this person serious, or just trying to get any job". Some will become suspicious if you later try to apply for some job for which you are seen as overqualified; and then employer will hire someone "whose exerience and training more closely match the job qualifications".

There WAS a time when I applied for a lesser-titled position with a company, and this was for a company to which I had several months previously had interview for a professional level position. The second interviewer meeting, the interviewer suggested, "maybe you should look for a professional level position"; but that was not the job currently under discussion at this second interview. I also, between the time of the two separate interviews, did spend time employed at a professional level lab job.
But your issue the second time around was not so much that it was a second application to the same company, than that it was an application for a position for which you were overqualified. A red flag would have gone up even if the second position had been at a different company: e.g., if you're a PhD applying for a lab tech position, you're not likely to be viewed favorably.

I once worked for a Megacorps in which the hiring criteria among different divisions were substantially different. Someone who didn't make the cut for basic research could, e.g., make the cut for development; and someone who didn't make the cut for development could, e.g., make the cut for manufacturing. So it does make sense to apply to the same company should another opening arise.

Last edited:
Likes MarneMath
Yeah I concur with CrysPhys. I've worked at fortune 10 companies and small 50 people size companies. At large companies it's pretty tricky. It's common to see two "Analyst" jobs within an analytics group show up on a job page. While some may assume that because it's the same job title and same group, then it's the same people looking for the position just for two openings. However, often times it's two completely different teams with two completely different needs/requirements interviewing. So failing at 1 doesn't imply you'll fail at the other. As an interviewer, I was often aware of this and referenced people who were smart but not what I needed to other teams.

On the flip side, at smaller companies "Analyst", "Software dev", "front office receptionist" were often interviewed by the same people :).

Also, as a side note. When I was starting my career, and job hunting, I would often apply to the same exact position over and over again. While this never actually worked out, the worse that would happen is I would get a rejection later 3 days later. At best, the recruiter would call me and talk about other roles.

I've been involved in the hiring process in a previous job. Typically you have many applicants who are qualified for the position and pick the one who stands out. That doesn't mean none of the others would be a good fit, you only have so many positions available and have to make a decision.

Definitely reapply if it's what you want. Perseverance is an admirable quality.

My past supervisor told me about someone they had interviewed and rejected the first time. The candidate applied a few months later and had a very fruitful second interview followed by an offer. These interviews include a small 30 minute exam on paper with circuit questions followed by one-on-one in-person with several senior engineers and leadership. I was told it typically requires about 2 hours although mine took a little over 4 hours.

That particular place had interviewed me before over the phone for an internship and I was not invited for an in-person interview the first time, but I worked there full-time before my current position. The place I currently work at never even responded for all the internships I had applied for (dozens) aside from rejection letters, but hired me for a full-time position later when I moved here.

I think re-applying should be okay. I've done it. What I wouldn't do is apply for 100 positions (hyperbole here) or apply for new positions days after the first application or interview. Give it some time and try to compensate for your weak points in the previous interview before applying again.

Likes symbolipoint
I interviewed with the same company twice in two years and got an offer the second time. Later they told me I was always under consideration. Apparently they did not remember that they sent me a rejection letter the first time.

A friend of mine did me one better.

The same day, he got a rejection letter and an offer of employment at IBM in (I think it was) Fishkill N.Y.

He called up and asked which letter was relevant. They told him, "Which letter did he want to be relevant". He threw the rejection letter out, and took the acceptance to work.

mpresic3 said:
He called up and asked which letter was relevant. They told him, "Which letter did he want to be relevant". He threw the rejection letter out, and took the acceptance to work.
He should have said no and applied to their HR department saying ”I am clearly more needed there”. :rolleyes:

Likes symbolipoint
mpresic3 said:
I interviewed with the same company twice in two years and got an offer the second time. Later they told me I was always under consideration. Apparently they did not remember that they sent me a rejection letter the first time.

Was it for the same position, or for another one?

In general, job applications tend to be low effort, low risk, with a high potential reward. If it's a job you want and for which you are qualified, you should apply in most cases.

Most job seekers should already have an updated resume/CV on hand as well as several cover letters that just need minor editing to send along. Even on-line applications don't tend to take more than an hour to complete. Low effort, high reward for appealing jobs. Don't overthink yourself out of opportunities.

EngWiPy said:
Was it for the same position, or for another one?
same position

Related to Applying again to the same company

What is the process for applying again to the same company?

The process for applying again to the same company will vary depending on the company's specific policies. However, in general, you can start by reaching out to the company's HR department or contacting the hiring manager who you previously interviewed with. You may need to submit an updated resume and cover letter, and potentially go through the entire application process again.

Do I need to explain why I am reapplying to the same company?

It is not necessary to explain why you are reapplying to the same company, but it may be helpful to mention any updates or changes in your qualifications since your last application. This could include new skills, experiences, or education that make you a stronger candidate.

Will my previous application be considered when reapplying to the same company?

It is possible that your previous application will be considered when reapplying to the same company. However, it is also possible that the company may require you to submit a completely new application and go through the entire hiring process again. It is best to clarify this with the company's HR department or hiring manager.

Should I reach out to anyone before reapplying to the same company?

It may be beneficial to reach out to someone at the company before reapplying, especially if you have a contact who can provide insight or advice on the application process. This could be someone you previously interviewed with, a current employee, or a recruiter. However, make sure to follow the company's guidelines and procedures for reapplying as well.

Is it okay to reapply to the same company if I was previously rejected?

Yes, it is generally acceptable to reapply to the same company if you were previously rejected. Companies understand that candidates may improve their skills and qualifications over time, and they may also have different hiring needs at different times. However, it is important to reflect on any feedback you may have received and make changes to your application or approach if necessary.