Considering accepting a new offer, but I have questions

• Other
  • Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
In summary: It's been an amazing experience being a part of the community here and I've learned so much. That being said, I'm moving on to greener pastures. As of today, I've given my last place a one month notice. I hope to be back one day, but for now, I'm off to explore new opportunities.In summary, the author is considering accepting a new job offer, but has some questions about it. They worry about burning bridges and whether the move is a net positive gain. They advise being sure that the offer is a good one and that the company will be able to take care of them. They also advise being honest and transparent with their current employer and friends about the situation.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone!

As I have noted before, I have been very fortunate in that I have a relatively secure position with a consulting firm (within the pharma/biotech sector) during the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. At the same time, I have noticed somewhat of a slowdown in the work I'm getting, and so I had responded back to a call from a recruiter a few weeks ago for another company to "test the waters", so to speak.

Fast forward, and I have just got a call yesterday from the recruiter that the company I interviewed for made an offer. I'm seriously considering accepting the offer (better pay, similar benefits, promotion from present position), but I have some questions below:

1. After an initial slowdown, I'm starting to get new projects. Given that situation, should I even be accepting this position? I'm concerned about burning bridges if I leave at this junction.

2. Related to #1, if I do accept the offer, I want to do it in a way so that I don't antagonize my current employer or client, who I've developed a very good working relationship with. What would be your advice on how I should proceed?

I appreciate any insight that any of you can offer on my situation. Thanks!

Likes member 587159
Physics news on Phys.org
In my profession, it is common to give a copy of the written offer to the chair and see if they counter.

Likes sysprog and member 587159
It can certainly be a tough, but fortunate spot to be in when you have an opportunity to give up a decent, stable position for something that looks like it's going to be better. With respect to question 1, I think the key point is that particularly in the current state of the economy, you to make sure that you're as certain as you can be that you're getting something better. And not just incrementally better, but very clearly this would be a step up. The fact that you're getting increased pay and a promotion certainly seems like that would be the case, but is that going to compensate for things like giving up the people you currently work with for a new set of co-workers, and climbing a bunch of new learning curves? Obviously these aren't factors that are easily quantifiable, but if it was me, I'd need to be pretty certain that the move is a net positive gain.

As to question 2, keeping from burning bridges, those kinds of conversations may not be easy to have, but I think this is a care where being open, honest, and transparent are all going to help you. Your manager(s) should already be aware that employees are going to seek and accept better offers if and when they come around. Figure out who needs to know about this and book some time to talk to them directly about it. You can even explain that you really want to maintain a good relationship moving forward. I think most managers will understand. And the more advance notice they have, the better position they'll be in for finding your replacement.

Either way, I hope it works out for you.

Likes member 587159 and StatGuy2000
StatGuy2000 said:
if I do accept the offer, I want to do it in a way so that I don't antagonize my current employer or client, who I've developed a very good working relationship with.
Will your leaving right now cause a problem in the deliverables for the client(s)? Can others fairly easily fill in and cover the work, or will a new person need to be hired and trained before the client's needs can be satisfied? Will your leaving cause a temporary (or permanent) increase in the workload for others in the office?

We recently had a key person leave our company, and it's been tough to try to fill in for the work he was doing. It was a pretty unique skillset that we lost with him leaving, and about 4 of us have been doing our best to try to cover it all now, but it has definitely increased our workload (management isn't going to hire into that position for a while). I'm pretty good friends with the employee that left, and we all wished him well in the job change, but it's been tough trying to fill in for him.

I also have a pretty unique skillset at our company, with many years of experience with our older products that still sell in high volume. If I left, it would be extremely hard to fill in for all of the different work that I do (not bragging, just realistic). Fortunately the company takes pretty good care of me. Well, except for all of the extra work... :wink:

Likes member 587159
I gave my last place a one month notice.

Hi everyone! I wanted to thank all of you for providing me with great feedback and advice.

I have ultimately decided to accept the new offer and have informed my managers (having the open, honest, and transparent conversation that is required), giving them 1 month notice (my last day on the job on July 3), even though I am only required to give the company 2 weeks. I am very fortunate that both of my managers have taken the news well, and have assured me that they will be more than happy to provide great references when requested.

Likes russ_watters, Joshy, Choppy and 1 other person

Related to Considering accepting a new offer, but I have questions

What are the benefits of accepting a new offer?

Accepting a new offer can bring many benefits, such as a higher salary, better benefits, career growth opportunities, a more desirable work location, and a chance to work with a new team or company.

What should I consider before accepting a new offer?

Before accepting a new offer, it is important to consider factors such as the company culture, job responsibilities, work-life balance, commute, and potential for career advancement. It is also important to carefully review the offer letter and negotiate if necessary.

How will accepting a new offer impact my current job?

Accepting a new offer will likely mean leaving your current job, so it is important to consider how this will impact your current team and projects. It is also important to give proper notice and leave on good terms to maintain professional relationships.

What should I ask the employer before accepting a new offer?

Some important questions to ask the employer before accepting a new offer include the start date, job expectations, company culture, benefits, and any potential for relocation or travel. It is also important to clarify any details in the offer letter and ask for any necessary information or clarification.

What should I do if I have multiple offers?

If you have multiple offers, it is important to carefully consider each one and weigh the pros and cons. You may also want to reach out to the employers to ask any additional questions or negotiate. Ultimately, you should choose the offer that aligns with your career goals and provides the best overall package.