Applied Stats Help - Don't even understand the question

In summary, we have determined that the distribution of ||x||^2 is chi-square and its expected value is n. We now consider fixing x and drawing another random vector z from N(0, I). If we project z onto the direction of x, we can use the unit vector u pointing in the direction of x to find the projection as uTz. The expected value and variance of uTz can be found by conditioning on u and using the multivariate normal distribution.
jimbodonut

Homework Statement

Suppose x = (x1, x2, ..., xn)T ∈ Rn is a random vector drawn from the n-dimensional
standard Gaussian distribution N(0, I), where 0 = (0, 0, ..., 0)^T (0 vector transpose) and I is the identity matrix.
(a) What distribution does ||x||^2 follow? Justify your answer.
(b) On the average, how far away (in terms of squared Euclidean distance) from the
origin do you expect x to be? In other words, what is E(||x||^2)?
(c) Now suppose we fix x and draw another random vector z from N(0, I). If we
project z onto the direction of x, how far away from the origin (again, in terms of squared
Euclidean distance) do you expect the projection to be? (Hint: Let u be the unit vector
pointing in the direction of x. Then, uT z is the projection of z onto the direction of x.
Find the expectation and variance of uT z conditional on u.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

no attempt... don't even understand the question... :P
Thanks guys... ur help is greatly appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the univariate case: if Z is normal 0, 1, what do you know about the distributoin of Z^2?
If [tex] Z \sim \text{MVN}_n \big(0, I\big)[/tex], how does the univariate case relate to [tex] |Z|^2 [/tex] in the multivariate case?

Once you know the distribution of [tex] |Z|^2 [/tex] you can answer the second question. Work on those before thinking about the third.

i figured out a) and b).

It is a chi-square distribution since the ||x|| = sqrt(x1^2 + x2^2 + ... + xn^2) thus ||x||^2 = x1^2 + x2^2 + ... + xn^2. Since xi~N(0,1), it is chi-square.

and the expectation of a chi-square distribution is its degrees of freedom... in this case... E(||x||^2) = n

but now what's c)?

Related to Applied Stats Help - Don't even understand the question

1. What is applied statistics and how is it different from regular statistics?

Applied statistics is the application of statistical methods and techniques to real-world problems and situations. It differs from regular statistics in that it focuses on solving specific problems and making data-driven decisions, rather than just analyzing data for the sake of understanding it.

2. How can applied statistics help me in my field of study or work?

Applied statistics can help you in various ways, such as identifying patterns and trends in data, making predictions and forecasts, and evaluating the effectiveness of certain strategies or interventions. It can also aid in decision-making by providing evidence-based insights and recommendations.

3. What are some common techniques used in applied statistics?

Some common techniques used in applied statistics include regression analysis, hypothesis testing, ANOVA, and data visualization. Each technique serves a specific purpose and can be applied to different types of data and problems.

4. How do I know which statistical method to use for my data?

The choice of statistical method depends on the type of data you have and the research question you are trying to answer. It is important to have a clear understanding of your data and research goals before selecting a statistical method. Consulting with a statistician or doing some research on different methods can also be helpful.

5. Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to understand applied statistics?

While having a basic understanding of math and statistics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand applied statistics. Many software programs and tools have made it easier to analyze and interpret data without extensive mathematical knowledge. However, having a good grasp of fundamental statistical concepts and the ability to interpret results accurately is important.