Applied Physics vs Professional Physics (emphasis)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the differences between the Applied and Professional emphases in a BS in Physics program. The speaker is confused as they seem to have the same class selection and wonders if there is a difference in terms of career prospects. They have also searched for information on forums but have mostly found graduate level specific information. The speaker is not sure about their specific focus in physics but has a strong interest in plasma physics and mathematical physics. They are advised to consult with their academic advisor or someone in the physics department for more clarity.
DS2C
In pursuing a BS in Physics, my university offers an Applied emphasis and a Professional emphasis. However the class selection seems to be the same for both. I get this information from an option in my student account that allows me to theoretically change my major to a degree that I'm not yet in so that I can see what classes are required.

What is the difference? A little confused as I think no matter what you do with a physics degree, it could be considered "professional". In searching the forums, most results come up with graduate level specific information. As far as the information I've found here on a BS, it seems that "applied" means that it has a specific direction.

To give some clarity, I am not entirely sure where I'd like to focus specifically in physics but I do have a high interest in plasma physics and mathematical physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
DS2C said:
In pursuing a BS in Physics, my university offers an Applied emphasis and a Professional emphasis. However the class selection seems to be the same for both. I get this information from an option in my student account that allows me to theoretically change my major to a degree that I'm not yet in so that I can see what classes are required.

What is the difference? A little confused as I think no matter what you do with a physics degree, it could be considered "professional". In searching the forums, most results come up with graduate level specific information. As far as the information I've found here on a BS, it seems that "applied" means that it has a specific direction.

To give some clarity, I am not entirely sure where I'd like to focus specifically in physics but I do have a high interest in plasma physics and mathematical physics.

This is very school-specific, and you should be addressing this question to your academic advisor, or someone in your school's physics department.

Zz.

Had no idea it was school specific. Thank you for the clarification.

Related to Applied Physics vs Professional Physics (emphasis)

1. What is the difference between applied physics and professional physics?

Applied physics is the study of the practical applications of physics principles and theories in various fields, while professional physics is the application of physics in a specific professional setting, such as engineering, medicine, or research.

2. Can someone with a degree in applied physics work in a professional physics setting?

Yes, someone with a degree in applied physics can work in a professional physics setting as they have a strong understanding of physics principles and can apply them in a practical context.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in applied physics?

Career opportunities for someone with a degree in applied physics include working in industries such as aerospace, renewable energy, telecommunications, and materials science. They can also pursue careers in research and development, data analysis, and consulting.

4. How does the curriculum for applied physics differ from professional physics?

The curriculum for applied physics typically focuses on practical applications and hands-on experience, while professional physics curriculum may be more theoretical and research-based. Applied physics courses may also cover a broader range of topics, while professional physics courses may be more specialized.

5. Is one type of physics more valuable than the other in the job market?

Both applied physics and professional physics are valuable in the job market, as they provide different skills and knowledge that are relevant in different industries. It ultimately depends on the specific job and industry one is interested in pursuing.