Applied Physics and an Engineering Program in NL

In summary: I knew some people that traveled >5h each day to uni. But I admit it's not something I would do myself.Another (naive perhaps) idea: why not complete your first year... or two... at a college in a different country?I think it would be a great idea to try that. Once you've finished your undergraduate degree, it would be much easier to transfer to a different university.
KiwiKid
Hello everyone, I'm new to PF. (My favorite fish is herring, so slap away. :smile:)

My question might be a bit complicated, because I suspect the answer depends a lot on location. I live in the Netherlands, and that's where I'm going to uni in september. (Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, RuG) I'm going to do Applied Physics for my undergrad studies, and I'm wondering whether this would make it possible for me to go to grad school for a MSc or PhD in an engineering field - probably ME or EE (as I ultimately want to become an engineer).

The reason I'm not going to a college in a different part of town (The RuG doesn't offer engineering degrees apart from applied physics, which technically is an engineering degree where I live) in the first place are mostly because of financial reasons (but also for a few others I won't mention here). However, I am probably able to move to another town/country/planet for graduate studies.

Applied Physics at the RuG is pretty much physics with a few different courses (e.g. Materials Science instead of Geophysics, that kind of thing). I would post a link to the degree requirements, but I need to make ten posts first. :/ Mod note: course contents is here: http://www.rug.nl/ocasys/rug/vak/showpos?opleiding=4967

In any case, some advice would be very much appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Hi KiwiKid, welcome to the forums!

If you'd like to go to graduate school for EE or ME and become an engineer, why not do your undergraduate degree in EE or ME?

bcbwilla said:
Hi KiwiKid, welcome to the forums!
Thank you. :smile:

bcbwilla said:
If you'd like to go to graduate school for EE or ME and become an engineer, why not do your undergraduate degree in EE or ME?
Financial reasons, for one. I don't like to go into detail, but suffice it to say that I've finally gotten my own room after pretty much getting kicked out of the house by my parents. Also note that we don't have dorms in the Netherlands, so I can't just apply to a college in another town and hope it all works out. I dropped out of college last year because of my depression, and I really want to get started again in September - something I cannot do were I to decide to go to college in another town. My best bet is to go to college where I'm living now, hope to get some money together, and then go to another town for my MSc/PhD.

KiwiKid said:
Financial reasons, for one. I don't like to go into detail, but suffice it to say that I've finally gotten my own room after pretty much getting kicked out of the house by my parents. Also note that we don't have dorms in the Netherlands, so I can't just apply to a college in another town and hope it all works out. I dropped out of college last year because of my depression, and I really want to get started again in September - something I cannot do were I to decide to go to college in another town. My best bet is to go to college where I'm living now, hope to get some money together, and then go to another town for my MSc/PhD.

The Netherlands is not a big country. Why not travel to another university by train?? And in the meanwhile you can look for an own room.
You probably already thought of this option and dismissed it, but I'm throwing it out there nevertheless.

It's always better to do an actual engineering degree. But I don't think you'll miss much with the applied physics degree.

micromass said:
The Netherlands is not a big country. Why not travel to another university by train?? And in the meanwhile you can look for an own room.
You probably already thought of this option and dismissed it, but I'm throwing it out there nevertheless.
Agreed. On the other hand, trains aren't that fast, and Groningen is in the north, whereas Delft and Eindhoven are relatively far to the south. This would mean I'd be traveling for >5h every day, which I think is too much.

micromass said:
It's always better to do an actual engineering degree. But I don't think you'll miss much with the applied physics degree.
I admit, I don't know a lot about the different course contents between degrees. Does this applied physics degree seem like I could relatively easily make up for any parts I missed from the engineering degrees later?

KiwiKid said:
Agreed. On the other hand, trains aren't that fast, and Groningen is in the north, whereas Delft and Eindhoven are relatively far to the south. This would mean I'd be traveling for >5h every day, which I think is too much.

I knew some people that traveled >5h each day to uni. But I admit it's not something I would do myself.

Another (naive perhaps) idea: why not complete your first year in Groningen and then tranfer to Delft or Eindhoven once you found a suitable room.

Or you can go study in Belgium where they do have dorms.

I admit, I don't know a lot about the different course contents between degrees. Does this applied physics degree seem like I could relatively easily make up for any parts I missed from the engineering degrees later?

I'm not an engineer or physicist, so I can't answer that for you. But (besides actual knowledge), university teaches you an important skill: to be self-sufficient and to be able to self-study topics. So if you do the applied physics degree and if you do a masters in engineer, you will have to self-study some things (perhaps many things), but by that time you'll be able to handle it.
I don't think you should worry to much. Even if you do the applied physics, you'll still be in a good situation provided you're willing to self-study.

micromass said:
Another (naive perhaps) idea: why not complete your first year in Groningen and then tranfer to Delft or Eindhoven once you found a suitable room.
That's a good idea, too! I hadn't thought of that. :smile:

micromass said:
Or you can go study in Belgium where they do have dorms.

[...]

I'm not an engineer or physicist, so I can't answer that for you. But (besides actual knowledge), university teaches you an important skill: to be self-sufficient and to be able to self-study topics. So if you do the applied physics degree and if you do a masters in engineer, you will have to self-study some things (perhaps many things), but by that time you'll be able to handle it.
I don't think you should worry to much. Even if you do the applied physics, you'll still be in a good situation provided you're willing to self-study.
Thanks. At least I seem to have plenty of options for the future. :smile:

Related to Applied Physics and an Engineering Program in NL

1. What is the difference between applied physics and engineering?

Applied physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the practical application of scientific principles to real-world problems and technologies. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific, mathematical, and empirical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. While both fields involve the use of scientific knowledge, engineering is more focused on the design and creation of tangible products, while applied physics is more concerned with understanding and improving existing technologies.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates of an applied physics and engineering program?

Graduates of an applied physics and engineering program have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, telecommunications, and more. Some common job titles for these graduates include mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, civil engineer, research scientist, and project manager. They can also pursue careers in academia or research institutions.

3. What skills and knowledge will I gain from an applied physics and engineering program?

An applied physics and engineering program will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as hands-on experience with various technologies and tools. Additionally, you will learn project management, communication, and teamwork skills, which are essential in the field of engineering.

4. What sets NL's applied physics and engineering program apart from others?

NL's applied physics and engineering program offers a unique combination of theoretical and practical learning. The program is designed to provide students with a well-rounded education and hands-on experience through laboratory work, projects, and internships. Additionally, NL's program has a strong focus on sustainable and environmentally-friendly technologies, preparing students to tackle the challenges of the future.

5. What are the admission requirements for an applied physics and engineering program in NL?

The specific admission requirements may vary depending on the institution, but generally, applicants must have a high school diploma with a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Some programs may also require applicants to have completed specific courses in these subjects. Additionally, most programs will consider standardized test scores (such as SAT or ACT) and may require a personal statement or letters of recommendation. It is best to check with the specific institution for their specific admission requirements.