Applied mathematics or Electrical Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision to attend school locally and the potential for saving money. The individual expresses interest in an applied math degree and asks about the possibility of finding employment with this degree. They also consider pursuing an EE degree and discuss the benefits of having a strong background in applied math for physics and engineering majors. They inquire about which courses would be most helpful for an EE major and mention a few options, including advanced linear algebra, mathematical analysis, statistics and probability, and set theory and group theory. They then ask about the available courses in the math department and whether certain courses would be important for an EE major. Ultimately, they mention taking engineering mathematics classes to cover the necessary calculus topics without going into detail or proofs.
Holocene
I've made a decision to attend school locally, so as to save some cash.

I like the idea of the applied math degree, because I have a pretty big interest in math.

But, I'm worried about the ability to find employement afterwards.

Would going after an EE degree provide a better chance at getting a decent job?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or find a way to do both!

I studied physics initially, but did several courses in applied math. I then switched to nuclear engineering, and did additional courses in applied math. If one does physics or engineering, a strong background in applied math will help.

What kind of courses in applied maths do you think would help engineering students most?

Defennnder said:
What kind of courses in applied maths do you think would help engineering students most?

What courses does your math department offer? You can take a gander at the catalog list and post them here.

It'll clog up this thread unnecessarily if I were to post the list here. regardless, perhaps I should ask if which of the following courses are important for electrical engineering, which I major in:

1. Advanced linear algebra (I've taken the introductory linear algebra course)
2. Mathematical analysis (Intro-level, for math majors)
3. Stats and probability
4. Set theory, group theory etc.

That's all I think that's available to me. I deliberately excluded calculus because I signed up for the engineering mathematics classes, which basically covers everything from what is known as Calc 1 to Calc 3 without going into details or proofs.

Related to Applied mathematics or Electrical Engineering?

1. What is the difference between applied mathematics and electrical engineering?

Applied mathematics is the application of mathematical concepts and principles to solve real-world problems, while electrical engineering is the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Applied mathematics is a broader field that can be applied to various areas, while electrical engineering is a more specialized field focused on technology and electrical systems.

2. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in applied mathematics or electrical engineering?

There are many career opportunities available for those with a degree in applied mathematics or electrical engineering. Applied mathematics graduates can work in various industries such as finance, data analysis, computer science, and engineering. Electrical engineering graduates can work in fields such as power systems, telecommunications, computer engineering, and electronics.

3. Is a degree in applied mathematics or electrical engineering suitable for those who are interested in research?

Yes, both degrees are suitable for those interested in research. Applied mathematics graduates can work in research fields such as mathematical modeling, statistics, and optimization. Electrical engineering graduates can conduct research in areas such as signal processing, power systems, and information technology.

4. What skills and knowledge are essential for success in applied mathematics or electrical engineering?

Some essential skills and knowledge for success in applied mathematics or electrical engineering include a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and the ability to work with complex systems. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages, data analysis, and design principles are also crucial for success in these fields.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in a different field after completing a degree in applied mathematics or electrical engineering?

Yes, you can pursue a graduate degree in a different field after completing a degree in applied mathematics or electrical engineering. Many students with a background in these fields go on to pursue graduate degrees in fields such as computer science, business, or economics. The strong analytical and problem-solving skills gained in these degrees can be applied to various industries and fields of study.