Applied mathematician, amateur logician, amateur philosopher

• Thread starter gentzen
  • Start date
In summary, an applied mathematician is a professional who uses mathematical principles to solve real-world problems, while an amateur logician is someone who enjoys studying and practicing logic as a hobby. Similarly, an amateur philosopher is a person who engages in philosophical thinking and discussions as a non-professional pursuit. These three roles may overlap in their use of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, but they differ in their level of expertise and formal training.
gentzen
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am an applied mathematician working in semiconductor manufacturing. This means stuff like optical lithography, ebeam lithography, resist development processes, etching processes, optical metrology, scanning electron beam metrology, and other related physical or chemical processes. I do work with physicists on a daily basis, but I am not a physicists myself. I took that career path long ago because in my experience, establishing friendly relationships with physicists was easy.

However, that is not the reason why I am here. There recently was a thread Consistent Histories solipsism? in the Quantum Interpretations and Foundations subforum. I subscribed to be able to say some clarifying words about consistent histories, if needed. However, Morbert did a better job than I could have done at clarifying those misconceptions, so there was no need for me to get actively involved. I had tried to publicly defend and clarify consistent histories at one point before:
Around 2005, I read (or rather browsed) “Understanding Quantum Mechanics” by Roland Omnès, and it was the first time that I felt that the material was presented in a way that I would understand it, if I invested the time to work through it. It felt like “let me calculate and explain” as opposed to “don’t ask questions, nobody understands QM anyway”.
In hindsight, my more relevant contribution to that discussion (about consequences of the Frauchiger-Renner Paradox) was to mention Craig Gidney
I find Craig Gidney’s approach to distinguish between “before-hand experience” description vs. “in-the-moment experience” descriptions enlightening
who wrote The Frauchiger-Renner Paradox is a Sleeping Beauty Problem half a year later. For me, this is the most convincing resolution of the paradox I have read so far. Interestingly enough, Craig Gidney is not a physicist either.

I fear that if I will happen to make actual contributions here, the pattern will always be that I read something, that it convinced me at least in certain points, and that I will try to defend it at least with respect to the points that I did understand. But my experience tells me that I will probably always be late to the game.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physics forums! Don't worry - there will be many opportunities for you to contribute here. We are glad you have joined us!

Jason

Likes gentzen