Applied math major, thinking of grad school

In summary, the speaker is an applied math major with a minor in CS who is interested in working in robotics and potentially pursuing a master's degree in EE or systems engineering. They are wondering if it is an easy transition from applied math to engineering and what additional courses they would need to take. Another speaker mentions that to get an MSEE, they would need to take essentially all the courses of a BSEE and the applied math major has already taken some relevant courses such as engineering physics and programming. However, they may need to take more courses to catch up to the requirements for a BSEE.
mathguy123
hey guys

im currently an applied math major, with a CS minor, about to enter my 4th year. I am thinking i'd like to work in robotics maybe, and might be considering getting masters-level education in EE, or systems engineering. is this an easy transition, from applied math, to engineering? what additional courses would i need to take?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want an MSEE, you need to take essentially all the courses of a BSEE.

oh yea, the applied math major requires that i take
1 year of engineering physics (mechanics, E&M) which is the same as EE's take
i took 2 years of programming
and as elective i have taken control systems, and DSP

am i looking at more than a year of catch up work before i can get the MSEE?

Yes, to get a BSEE you need more than 2 year of programming and 2 electives. You should look at the BSEE requirements in your university to see where you have to catch up.

Related to Applied math major, thinking of grad school

1. What career options are available with a graduate degree in applied math?

A graduate degree in applied math can open up a wide range of career options in fields such as data science, finance, engineering, computer science, and research. Graduates can work as data analysts, financial analysts, risk analysts, operations researchers, data scientists, or pursue academic and research positions in universities and research institutions.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in applied math?

The duration of a graduate degree in applied math can vary depending on the program and the student's pace. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-6 years to complete a doctoral degree. However, some programs may offer accelerated options or part-time study for those who have other commitments.

3. What skills and background are required for a graduate program in applied math?

A strong background in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is essential for a graduate program in applied math. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, and MATLAB is highly beneficial. Other important skills include analytical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

4. Can I apply to a graduate program in applied math with an undergraduate degree in a different field?

Yes, many graduate programs in applied math welcome students with diverse academic backgrounds. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in math and related fields such as computer science or statistics. Some programs may also require students to take prerequisite courses to ensure they have the necessary skills for the program.

5. What should I consider when choosing a graduate program in applied math?

When choosing a graduate program in applied math, some important factors to consider include the program's curriculum, faculty expertise, research opportunities, funding options, and location. It is also helpful to research the career outcomes of graduates from the program and speak with current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program's strengths and weaknesses.