Application with Shell Integration Method

In summary, the task is to use the shell method to find the volume of a solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=x^2, y=0, and x=1 about the x-axis. The solution involves finding the limit of a summation of 2∏RΔw as Δw approaches 0. The attempt at a solution involves setting the value of y to be 0 and 1, and using the relation xleft=√y and xright=1 to calculate the limit. However, the incorrect value of 1-y is used instead of 1-√y, resulting in an incorrect answer of ∏/3 instead of the correct answer of ∏/5.
Saterial

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=x2, y=0 and x=1 about the x-axis.

Homework Equations

lim Ʃ2∏RhΔw
Δw->0

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize this is hard to visualize without a graph. I uploaded how I split the graph.

Solved for y and found y=0, 1.

lim Ʃ2∏RhΔw
Δw->0
=lim Ʃ2∏y(1-y)Δy // made it 1-y because y=x2.
Δy->0
=lim Ʃ2∏(y-y2)Δy
Δy->0
=2∏∫y-y2dy from 0->1
=2∏[y2/2-y3/3] from 0->1
=∏/3

Using Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, volume was found to be ∏/3. However this answer is incorrect. The answer is suppose to be ∏/5. I solved the question initially using the washer method and obtained the answer of ∏/5 but this question asks specifically to use shell method. I don't know how I can fix what I did wrong in this question. I assume I set the wrong h value. I also always get confused on what variable to use x or y, when taking into about if the rotation is about the x or y axis.

Any help would be great thanks!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Saterial said:

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=x2, y=0 and x=1 about the x-axis.

Homework Equations

lim Ʃ2∏RhΔw
Δw->0

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize this is hard to visualize without a graph. I uploaded how I split the graph.

Solved for y and found y=0, 1.

lim Ʃ2∏RhΔw
Δw->0
=lim Ʃ2∏y(1-y)Δy // made it 1-y because y=x2.

The quantity in parentheses is xright-xleft. You have (1-y). Now ##x_{right}=1## alright, but since ##y=x^2##, ## x_{left} =\sqrt y## so you should have ##(1-\sqrt y)## there. That will fix it.

Related to Application with Shell Integration Method

1. What is the Shell Integration Method?

The Shell Integration Method is a scientific process used to study and understand the properties of a material or system by integrating it with a shell structure. This method is commonly used in materials science, chemistry, and physics to analyze and manipulate the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

2. How does the Shell Integration Method work?

The Shell Integration Method involves creating a shell structure around the material or system being studied, such as a thin film or a molecular layer. This shell allows for better control and observation of the material, as well as providing a barrier to external influences. By analyzing the interactions between the shell and the material, scientists can gain valuable insights into its properties and behavior.

3. What are the advantages of using the Shell Integration Method?

One of the main advantages of the Shell Integration Method is its versatility. It can be applied to a wide range of materials and systems, from small molecules to complex biological structures. Additionally, the shell structure provides a controlled environment for studying the material, allowing for more accurate and reproducible results.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Shell Integration Method?

The Shell Integration Method has a wide range of practical applications, including drug delivery, catalysis, and nanotechnology. By understanding the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level, scientists can develop new and improved materials for various industries, such as medicine and energy production.

5. Are there any limitations to the Shell Integration Method?

Like any scientific method, the Shell Integration Method also has some limitations. One of the main challenges is creating a suitable shell structure that does not significantly alter the behavior of the material being studied. Additionally, the process of integrating the shell with the material can be time-consuming and technically challenging, requiring advanced equipment and expertise.