Appliance in the bath - Curious

• Thread starter pat666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electrocution through dropping a toaster or radio into a bath and the likelihood of death. The speakers mention the path of least resistance for the current and the use of RCD's as safety measures. They also bring up the idea of low level current and the amount needed to kill a human, and the role of voltage in electrocution. They suggest doing further research on the topic or seeking advice from an engineering forum.
pat666
I've seen this a thousand times and never understood WHY? Someone trying to kill someone drops a toaster/radio whatever into a bath and the bathee fries. Why

The path of least resistance for the current would not be through the person, I would've thought that all that would happen would be the breaker would trip and the person would't feel a thing.

Not considering RCD's at all either I can't see that you would die even without them.

I've read a few things on other websites about the low level current required to kill a human. People are always saying things along the lines of "It only takes 5mA to Kill". A huge voltage is required to push that current through the body so I can't buy that as a reason for being shocked either.

Thoughts

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a homework question. You should take this inquiry to an appropriate general forum, or perhaps do some research on the web (Google will help); it's a common enough topic of discussion that you should have little difficulty finding material.

I meant to post this in the engineering section.

Related to Appliance in the bath - Curious

1. How safe is it to have appliances in the bath?

It is not safe to have appliances in the bath. Water and electricity are a dangerous combination, and the risk of electrocution is high. It is important to keep all appliances away from water sources, including the bath.

2. What types of appliances are safe to use in the bath?

No appliances are safe to use in the bath. Even small battery-operated devices can pose a risk if they come into contact with water. It is best to keep all appliances out of the bathroom and away from water sources.

3. Can I use a waterproof appliance in the bath?

No, using a waterproof appliance in the bath is still not safe. While the appliance may be designed to withstand water, it can still malfunction or cause harm if it comes into contact with water. It is best to keep all appliances out of the bath and away from water sources.

4. What should I do if an appliance falls into the bath?

If an appliance falls into the bath, do not reach in to retrieve it. Unplug the appliance from the outlet and wait for it to dry completely before attempting to use it again. If there is any damage to the appliance, it should be inspected by a professional before use.

5. Are there any precautions I can take to make using appliances in the bath safer?

The best precaution is to keep all appliances out of the bathroom and away from water sources. If you must use an appliance in the bathroom, make sure it is unplugged and completely dry before use. Additionally, always follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance of the appliance.