Apparent depth equation proving

In summary, the problem involves a fish at a depth d underwater and finding the apparent depth z when viewed at an angle of refraction θ. Using Snell's law and the index of refraction of water as 4/3, the equation for z is (3d cosθ)/√(7 + 9 cos2θ). The solution involves finding the relationship between the ratios x/R and x/A to the angles i and r, and then to the index of refraction.
salivian selwyn

Homework Statement

a fish at a depth d underwater.Takes the index of refraction of water as 4/3 show that when the fish is viewed at an angle of refraction θ , the apparent depth z of the fish is
z = (3d cosθ )/ √ (7 + 9 cos2 θ)

Homework Equations

snell's law
n1 x sin θ1 = n2 x sin θ2

The Attempt at a Solution

(nwater) (sin θ) = (nair) (sin r) ->[/B] since nair is 1
(nwater) (sin θ) = sin r --- square both side
(n2water) (sin2 θ) = (sin r)
(n2) (sin2 θ) = (x2) / (x2 + z2)
1/((n2)(sin2θ)) = (x2 + z2)/(x2)
1 + (z2/x2) = 1/((n2)(sin2θ))
z2/x2 =(1-n2*sin2θ)/(n2*sin2θ)

--subtitute x with d tanθ ,give me--
z2 = (d2) ((1- n2*sin2θ)/(n2*cos2θ))
using 1 = sin2θ + cos2θ identity, give me
z2 = (d^2)((1+ n2*cos2θ - n2)/(n2 * cos2θ))

im stuck here , this result in
z2 = d2((16cos2θ - 7)/(16cos2θ))

i think it's a little bit more , but I am stuck here

Attachments

• 15120215.jpg
    15120215.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 534
Physics news on Phys.org
Your began the wrong way first look for the relationship between R and A. Start by looking at x/R and x/a

gleem said:
Your began the wrong way first look for the relationship between R and A. Start by looking at x/R and x/a
Sorry ,i don't get what you mean. Can you explain it to me ?

determine the relationships between the ratios x/R and x/A to the angles i and r and then to the index of refraction..

Related to Apparent depth equation proving

1. What is the apparent depth equation?

The apparent depth equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the apparent depth of an object when viewed through a transparent medium, such as water or glass. It takes into account the index of refraction of the medium and the actual depth of the object to determine its perceived depth.

2. How is the apparent depth equation derived?

The apparent depth equation is derived from Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the indices of refraction of the two media. By rearranging this equation, we can derive the apparent depth equation.

3. What are the variables in the apparent depth equation?

The variables in the apparent depth equation are the actual depth of the object (d), the index of refraction of the medium (n), the angle of incidence (θi), and the angle of refraction (θr). These variables are all necessary to calculate the apparent depth of an object.

4. Can the apparent depth equation be applied to all transparent media?

Yes, the apparent depth equation can be applied to all transparent media as long as the medium has a defined index of refraction. This includes not only water and glass, but also air and other gases, and even some solids such as diamonds which have a high index of refraction.

5. How is the apparent depth equation used in real-world applications?

The apparent depth equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes. It is also used in the field of underwater photography to correct for the distortion of objects viewed through water. Additionally, it is a fundamental principle in the study of optics and is used in many experiments and calculations in this field.