Solving Snell's Law: Find Incident & Refractive Angles

In summary: Good luck.In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding the incident and refractive angles when only the deviation angle is known, with the given information of Snell's law, materials, and deviation angle. They are then guided to use some trigonometric manipulations and solve for r in order to find the desired angles. However, it is important to note that complete solutions should not be provided and the individual should show their own effort in solving the problem.
zebedi
Hi,
Can someone tell me how to find the incident and refractive angles when only the deviation angle is known?

For instance, I know that Snells law is n1 sin(i) = n2 sin(r)
I know that the materials are air (n1=1) and glass (n2=1.5)
And I know that the deviation angle d is 30deg.

I can summise that d = i - r
and r = arcsin( (n1/n2) x sin i )
therefore i = arcsin( (n1/n2) x sin i ) + d

How do I find i? Do I use an iterative method? How does that work?

Thanks in advance
Z

Attachments

• snells_law.JPG
    snells_law.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 551
Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to use some trigonometric manipulations.

zebedi said:
Hi,
Can someone tell me how to find the incident and refractive angles when only the deviation angle is known?

For instance, I know that Snell's law is n1 sin(i) = n2 sin(r)
I know that the materials are air (n1=1) and glass (n2=1.5)
And I know that the deviation angle d is 30deg.

I can summise that d = i - r
and r = arcsin( (n1/n2) x sin i )
therefore i = arcsin( (n1/n2) x sin i ) + d

How do I find i? Do I use an iterative method? How does that work?

Thanks in advance
Z
Hello zebedi. Welcome to PF !

attachment.php?attachmentid=44030&d=1329489171.jpg

You have that d = i - r .

So, i = r + d .

Use that in Snell's Law to get: n1 sin( r + d) = n2 sin(r) .

Use the angle addition identity for sine . Solve for r .

You mean
sin(A+B) = sin(A)cos(B)+cos(A)sin(B) ?

Can you help out further because my maths still isn't good enough to solve it.
Thanks

That is the correct equation you need to use. And you are given d, so from there it is straightforward to solve for r.

BruceW wrote: "so from there it is straightforward to solve for r. "

That may be so for some, but for this ageing dunce it isn't! So if someone would be kind enough to help me out and show me how to solve it I'd be very appreciative.

SammyS said:
You have that d = i - r .

So, i = r + d .

Use that in Snell's Law to get: n1 sin( r + d) = n2 sin(r) .

Use the angle addition identity for sine .

Expand sin( r + d) and substitute into Snell's law. What do you get?

ehild

You get

n1(sinr cosd + cos r sind) = n2 sinr

but how do I solve it when there's an r on both sides?

And unless you're actually going to show me how to solve it then please don't bother posting!

I suggest you to read the rules of these Forums: We do not solve the problem instead of you. We give hint, we guide you. If you do not want that kind of help go to somewhere else.

ehild

yes, you can do it yourself, zebedi. The next bit is to manipulate the equation, to get it to look like something you can solve for r.

zebedi said:

And unless you're actually going to show me how to solve it then please don't bother posting!
You might like to read the rules for posting in the Homework section of this Forum. In particular:

NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums. Once your question or problem has been responded to, do not go back and delete (or edit) your original post.

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

...​

This whole process has been really irritating and a complete waste of my time.

I originally posted this question on the Classical Physics Forum, but someone moved it to here. If there was never any intention of answering the problem then why didn't someone say in the first place.

I'm not a kid struggling with my homework, I'm an employee struggling with a problem and I would have appreciated some real help - just like I dish out every day on other forums.

zebedi
If you go back to your last equation and divide both side by Sinr it may become easier to sort out. Hope this is enough help to get you to the next stage.

Related to Solving Snell's Law: Find Incident & Refractive Angles

1. What is Snell's Law and why is it important in science?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, is a formula that describes how light bends as it passes from one medium to another. It is important in science because it helps us understand and predict how light behaves when it interacts with different materials, such as glass or water.

2. How do you solve for the incident and refractive angles in Snell's Law?

To solve for the incident and refractive angles in Snell's Law, you will need to know the refractive indices of the two materials involved and the angle of incidence (the angle at which the light enters the second medium). You can then use the formula n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices and θ1 and θ2 are the incident and refractive angles, respectively.

3. What are the units for the incident and refractive angles in Snell's Law?

The incident and refractive angles in Snell's Law are typically measured in degrees (°) or radians (rad).

4. Can Snell's Law be applied to all types of light?

Yes, Snell's Law applies to all types of light, including visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation. However, it may not accurately predict the behavior of other types of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves.

5. How is Snell's Law related to the speed of light?

Snell's Law is related to the speed of light because the refractive index of a material is directly proportional to the speed of light in that material. This means that the higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light will be in that material.