AP Physics problem help - centripetal motion

In summary, the suitcase goes around the baggage carousel three times in .0107 seconds. The net centripetal force is 9.8*(11.4+2*pi*10.8)/10.8 Newtons.
stuplato
This problem is KILLING ME!
The drawing shows a baggage carousel at an airport. Your suitcase has not slid all the way down the slope and is going around at a constant speed on a circle (r = 10.8 m) as the carousel turns. The coefficient of static friction between the suitcase and the carousel is 0.760, and the angle in the drawing is 35.6°. How much time is required for your suitcase to go around once?
05_26.gif

Please help!
It involves centripetal motion

Attachments

• 05_26.gif
    05_26.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 860
Physics news on Phys.org
So far here is what I got:

Fc = m*g*tan(theta)
Fn = m*g*cos(theta)
Ffrx (this is x-component of friction) = m*g*cos(theta)*cos(theta)

Ffrx + Fc = (m*w^2) / r

But the answer I get is wrong!

What is the net force acting on the bag? Redo your force diagram.

whozum said:
What is the net force acting on the bag? Redo your force diagram.
Net force is opposite of the perpendicular component of gravity which will be mass times g times cos(theta)
So... Fn = m times 7.968
And Friction will be u times Fn...
Ffr = m times 6.056
And Fc is m times .7159
The x component of Friction will be cos(theta) times Ffr
Ffrx = m times 4.924
And using Ffrx + Fc = (m*w^2) / r
m*4.924+m*.7159 = m*w^2) / r
the mass cancels out and i get
5.64 = w^2 / 10.8
Simplify...
w = .725
Now w = C/T and C= 2*pi*r
.725 / T = 2*pi*10.8
T = .0107

This is still wrong :cry:

Haha we have that exact same drawing/diagram in our book...you got the book with the skier on it?

I know T must be atleast twenty, but I just cannot get it, please give me a hint!

celticsthree4 said:
Haha we have that exact same drawing/diagram in our book...you got the book with the skier on it?

Ya, Cutnell 5th edition

Let me try this:
w = .725 & C = 21.6*pi
21.6*pi = .725*t
And I get 93.598 for t... somehow that sounds high, but I like someone 2 double check me please

stuplato said:
Let me try this:
w = .725 & C = 21.6*pi
21.6*pi = .725*t
And I get 93.598 for t... somehow that sounds high, but I like someone 2 double check me please

It's wrong AGAIN :cry:

Answer this question: What forces act on the suitcase? (I see three forces.)

Then answer this: What is the net centripetal force?

Answer these questions with symbols, not numbers.

i'm struggling with this same problem except my numbers are a little different my r=11.4, friction is .76 and theta as 36.8.
To be completely honest I am in Physics 1 and have no idea how to do physics at all. I understand the concepts, but have a really hard time finding the right equations and right times to use those equations.
I know there are three forces that are acting on it you got the force from the friction pointing up, you have mg acting on the suitcase downwards and you have the N force pulling from the center towards the suitcase.

My teacher in class gave us this equation to solve for the problem:
T= 2 pi sqrt. (R/g)(usin theta +cos theta / ucos theta - sin theta)

I'm not really sure what u= if i knew i think i could solve the problem.
Just to confirm
g=9.8 m/s^2
R=11.4

right?

Related to AP Physics problem help - centripetal motion

1. How do you calculate the centripetal acceleration in a given AP Physics problem?

In order to calculate the centripetal acceleration, you can use the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion. Make sure to convert all units to meters per second and meters, respectively, for accurate calculations.

2. What is the difference between tangential velocity and centripetal velocity?

Tangential velocity refers to the speed at which an object is moving along the tangent to its circular path, while centripetal velocity refers to the velocity towards the center of the circle. In other words, tangential velocity is the component of an object's velocity that is parallel to the circle's tangent, while centripetal velocity is the component that is perpendicular to the tangent.

3. How do you find the centripetal force acting on an object?

The formula for centripetal force is F = mv^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion. Keep in mind that centripetal force is always directed towards the center of the circle.

4. Can you explain the concept of centripetal acceleration in real-life applications?

Centripetal acceleration can be seen in various real-life scenarios, such as a car going around a curve, a satellite orbiting the Earth, or a roller coaster moving around a loop. In each of these cases, there is a centripetal force acting on the object, causing it to accelerate towards the center of the circular path.

5. How do you solve for the period of a circular motion in an AP Physics problem?

The period of a circular motion is the time it takes for an object to complete one full revolution. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2πr/v, where T is the period, r is the radius, and v is the tangential velocity. Make sure to convert all units to seconds and meters per second for accurate calculations.