AP Physics Help for Daughter: Solving a Kinetic Energy Problem

• Thread starter Cluelessone
  • Start date
In summary: From the previous two equations, we can find the merry-go-round's angular velocity. And finally, from angular velocity and rotational kinetic energy, we can find the merry-go-round's kinetic energy.
Cluelessone

Homework Statement

A horizontal 800 N merry-go-round of raidus 1.5 meters is started from rest by a constant horizontal force of 50 N applied tangentially to the merry-go-round find the kinetic energy of the merry-go-round after 3 seconds. Assume it is a solid cylinder.

Hello all,

My daughter, who is a senior in HS, is currently having trouble with the above problem for her AP Physics class. I haven't been to school in ages, so I was hoping you folks could help me out. I have no idea how to go about this, but if you guys could at least help me with setting up the formula or equation I would be eternally grateful. If you want to include the answer that would be great as well. I'll make sure she works out the problem with the formula first before having her check her answer against yours.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cluelessone said:

Homework Statement

A horizontal 800 N merry-go-round of raidus 1.5 meters is started from rest by a constant horizontal force of 50 N applied tangentially to the merry-go-round find the kinetic energy of the merry-go-round after 3 seconds. Assume it is a solid cylinder.
Thanks again!
First of all find the mass of the merry-go-round.
Find moment of inertia by using the formula for cylinder I = 1/2*M*R^2, where R is the radius of the merry-go-round.
A tangential force is applied. Find the torque T = F*R = Iα where α is the angular acceleration.
Find the angular velocity ω after time t seconds by using ω = ωo + αt.
Finally the kinetic energy KE = 1/2*I*ω^2.

How far did she get in attempting this question? Does she have no idea how to begin? In that case, think about the problem this way:

(1) What's the formula for rotational kinetic energy? Hint: it contains ω, the merry-go-round's angular speed.

(2) We're given the force applied to the merry-go-round, so we can find the torque. What's the formula relating torque, ω, and time?

Related to AP Physics Help for Daughter: Solving a Kinetic Energy Problem

What are the potential causes of my daughter's need for help?

There can be a variety of reasons why a child may require help, including but not limited to: mental health issues, learning disabilities, trauma, developmental delays, or environmental factors.

What are the signs that my daughter needs help?

Some common signs that your daughter may need help include changes in behavior or mood, difficulty in school, withdrawal from friends and family, and self-destructive behaviors.

What resources are available for parents seeking help for their daughter?

There are various resources available, including therapists, counselors, support groups, and educational programs. It is best to consult with your child's doctor or school for recommendations.

What are the benefits of seeking help for my daughter?

Seeking help for your daughter can lead to improved mental and emotional well-being, better academic performance, and healthier relationships. It can also provide parents with tools and support to better understand and address their child's needs.

How can I support my daughter while she is receiving help?

You can support your daughter by actively listening to her, validating her feelings, and showing empathy. It is also important to follow through with any recommended treatments or therapy and to create a supportive and understanding environment at home.