Rotational Motion: Energy and Momentum Conservation

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of a child jumping off a merry go round. The child's initial angular velocity and the radius of the merry go round were given, and the conservation of angular momentum was used to solve the problem. The use of conservation of energy was also considered, but it was determined that it would not yield the correct result. The conversation also touched upon the concept of action and reaction and the role of muscles and energy in jumping. It was concluded that conservation of angular momentum is the appropriate approach in this scenario.
Prannoy Mehta

Homework Statement

A child with mass m is standing at the edge of a merry go round having moment of inertia I, radius R and initial angular velocity x as shown. (The figure shows a disc moving anticlockwise, with the velocity v (Mentioned at the end) pointing upwards to the right most edge of the disc. ) The child jumps off the edge of the merry go round with tangential velocity v, w.r.t. the ground. The new angular velocity of the merry go round is.

Homework Equations

Basic Rotational motion equations. Mainly rotational energy, and angular momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

The conservation of angular momentum yielded the correct result for the problem stated. But when I do this using conservation of energy it does not (I have missed something out, I need to know what). Here is what I have done.

0.5 * m *v^2 + 0.5 * I * y^2 = 0.5 (I + mr^2)*x^2

Taking y as the final angular momentum. The result is something else. The answer according the reference book is given as:

((I + mr^2)*x^2 - mvr)/IThank you for the support and all your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a child jumps, does the child use energy?

Yes, he takes a part of the energy of the entire system.

Prannoy Mehta said:
Yes, he takes a part of the energy of the entire system.
I would not call that jumping. Sounds more like falling off. What does a jump involve?

The velocity with he lands with ? Not even that. I am not sure then. He would a apply a backward force on the ride and then use the force to jump forward. Action reaction. As it is internal forces acting energy conservation and momentum conservation can be applicable. I am not sure what you mean ?

Prannoy Mehta said:
The velocity with he lands with ? Not even that. I am not sure then. He would a apply a backward force on the ride and then use the force to jump forward. Action reaction. As it is internal forces acting energy conservation and momentum conservation can be applicable. I am not sure what you mean ?
Jump up in the air. Think about energy.

Are you referring to Gravitational Potential energy ? mgh? I can take take that as the velocity just as he leaves. Assuming the disc to be my frame of reference..
I did not get you..

Prannoy Mehta said:
Are you referring to Gravitational Potential energy ? mgh? I can take take that as the velocity just as he leaves. Assuming the disc to be my frame of reference..
I did not get you..
If you jump up in the air, where does the energy come from to do that?

The energy comes from the ground to me ? (Conservation of Energy, I push the ground back, and then the ground pushes me back in front)

Prannoy Mehta said:
The energy comes from the ground to me ? (Conservation of Energy, I push the ground back, and then the ground pushes me back in front)
No, that's not conservation of energy, that's action and reaction being equal and opposite.
You do not get free energy from the ground. Why do you have muscles? Why do you need to eat?

Muscles do provide energy. But then do we consider that while solving a numerical ?

So there is practically no way to do energy conservation here ? Taking this to be ideal scenario ?

Prannoy Mehta said:
So there is practically no way to do energy conservation here ? Taking this to be ideal scenario ?
The boy jumped, he didn't fall. You have no idea (a priori) what energy he supplied in doing so.
Instead, you can solve the problem using conservation of angular momentum, then deduce the work done by the boy.

Yes, thank you :)

Just another question, if he did manage to fall out of the merry go round. Then we would conserve energy, not momentum.. ?

Prannoy Mehta said:
Just another question, if he did manage to fall out of the merry go round. Then we would conserve energy, not momentum.. ?
Both would be conserved, but then the given information would not be feasible. The numbers would be different.

Makes more sense, thank you.

Related to Rotational Motion: Energy and Momentum Conservation

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis, rather than in a straight line.

2. What is the difference between rotational motion and linear motion?

The main difference is that rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Objects in rotational motion also experience centripetal acceleration, while objects in linear motion experience constant velocity or acceleration in a straight line.

3. How is energy conserved in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, energy is conserved through the conservation of angular momentum. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even if the objects within the system are rotating or changing their rotational speed.

4. What is the relationship between torque and rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In rotational motion, an object will rotate when a torque is applied to it. The magnitude of the rotation is directly proportional to the magnitude of the torque and the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How is momentum conserved in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, momentum is conserved through the conservation of angular momentum. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even if the objects within the system are rotating or changing their rotational speed. This is similar to the conservation of linear momentum in linear motion.