Anyone good with English? Need help with personal statement.

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their personal statement for a college transfer. They mention their poor English and their desire to get into a civil and environmental engineering program. They ask for someone to review their statement and ask for advice on how to include grades in essays. One person offers to help but questions why specific classes are mentioned in the personal statement. The student then asks for help with their personal statement and mentions they are from Slovakia.
AngeloG
My English is poor and I need someone to look over my personal statement. I'm planning to transfer colleges so I can get into a program with civil and environmental engineering =).

If you could PM me or give me contact info that would be nice.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
if this example is indicative, your english is fine. besides it is better if your statement sounds like you and not someone else. for this last reason i will not review your statement.

I would agree to help you but unless you plan to write something more in-depth and complicated than the english you have presented, mathwonk is correct in saying that your english is fine. I tutor english occasionally when I am in the english department, so I have some slight experience.

However, if you really need help, I will be glad to help.

I just need help with a few rules and grammar questions :).

Like how do I show grades in essays? Should classes/courses be capitalized or uncapitalized?

An example:
A key example would be my Composition I course. I received an average of ninety-five on all of my essays. The problem is: I wasn’t in class to do a lot of the “peer grading” for in class participation points. I received a C grade for the class; even though I produced A level work.

Last edited:
That seems fine, but why are you talking about specific classes in your *personal statement*? Does it ask that?

I'll be glad to review your statement when you're done.

can you help me?

I am a Slovak student applying for a university in UK. I am not sure if my personal statement is right, well-written. It would be great if someone helped me. Is there anybody?

Related to Anyone good with English? Need help with personal statement.

1. How important is having a good personal statement?

Having a strong personal statement is crucial for demonstrating your writing skills and highlighting your unique qualities and experiences to admissions committees. It can make or break your application.

2. Can I get help with my personal statement?

Yes, seeking help with your personal statement is a common and smart approach. A fresh pair of eyes can catch errors and provide valuable feedback. Just make sure that the final version reflects your own voice and ideas.

3. What should be included in a personal statement?

A personal statement should showcase your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, relevant experiences, and future goals. It should also highlight your passion, personality, and unique qualities that make you a strong candidate.

4. How long should a personal statement be?

The length of a personal statement can vary, but it is typically around 500-700 words. It's important to be concise and only include relevant information, as admissions committees have many applications to review.

5. Can I use someone else's personal statement as a template?

While it can be helpful to read other personal statements for inspiration, it's important to create your own unique and authentic statement. Using someone else's work as a template can result in plagiarism and hurt your chances of acceptance.