Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Any lucid dreamers here?

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I am curious if anyone here has lucid dreams. What are lucid dreams? These are dreams in which you realize you are dreaming and you are able to control the dream to take it where you wish.

My father was a lucid dreamer and I am too. He was very mathematically inclined and my mother and sisters are not, so I was curious if this phenomenon is more prevalent among those who are inclined in this way.

I sometimes find myself in a dream and realize I may be dreaming, so I test whether I am actually dreaming by purposefully violating the laws of nature. These dreams are extraordinarily vivid and very detailed. It is hard to tell if it is real or not, and by defying gravity or hurling objects with such force as they burn like a meteor I can tell for certain I am dreaming.

Does anyone here experience this?

agentmulder

Feb 9, 2012
I have never been able to control ANY of my dreams. Usually my dreams are very chaotic and full of discontinuities. The few times i have been in between the dream state and the awake state, i became PARALYSED in both states! Unable to move in my dream or on my bed, unable to breathe in my dream or on my bed. The best i can do is move my eyes a little bit... i don't even know if my heart continues to beat. These episodes last for about 10 - 15 seconds (but how can be sure?) and then i wake up with a gasp. After i wake up i am not panting out of breath so i don't know what to think... maybe it's all in my head, maybe my nightmare is being unable to breathe.

I try to avoid dreaming whenever i can because it's unpleasant too often so i try to sleep on my stomach or on my side, sleeping on my back leads to dreams more often.

One time i dreamt i was batman, but that was 25 years ago, it's the only dream i care to remember but still though i had no control. The 'pow!' 'zonk!' 'boiiiiffeee!' Adam West batman.

:)

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I've tried hard to lucid dream but am not capable of it, apparently, so I just repurposed the lucid dreaming training tapes I found on the internet into relaxation exercises :cool:

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Hello,
Have anyone dreamed about falling down from sky:p? I hate it..

Regards,

agentmulder

Feb 9, 2012
Hello,
Have anyone dreamed about falling down from sky:p? I hate it..

Regards,
I have heard a theory about what that means but i don't want to be the one that mentions it on this forum. :)

When i get that dream i wake up with a start a split second before i hit the ground. I'm scared that if i don't wake up i may actually die.

Spock's words come to mind from STAR TREK 6 The Undiscovered Country

Spock: 'The expulsion from paradise'

He said those words unrelated to dreams, it was his explanation of 'all good things must eventually come to an end'

The falling, reminds me of that but i don't know if it's some collective memory buried in my subconscious or a side effect of the culture i grew up in and live in.

:)

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
I am curious if anyone here has lucid dreams. What are lucid dreams? These are dreams in which you realize you are dreaming and you are able to control the dream to take it where you wish.

My father was a lucid dreamer and I am too. He was very mathematically inclined and my mother and sisters are not, so I was curious if this phenomenon is more prevalent among those who are inclined in this way.

I sometimes find myself in a dream and realize I may be dreaming, so I test whether I am actually dreaming by purposefully violating the laws of nature. These dreams are extraordinarily vivid and very detailed. It is hard to tell if it is real or not, and by defying gravity or hurling objects with such force as they burn like a meteor I can tell for certain I am dreaming.

Does anyone here experience this?
I envy you.

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I have never been able to control ANY of my dreams. Usually my dreams are very chaotic and full of discontinuities. The few times i have been in between the dream state and the awake state, i became PARALYSED in both states! Unable to move in my dream or on my bed, unable to breathe in my dream or on my bed. The best i can do is move my eyes a little bit... i don't even know if my heart continues to beat. These episodes last for about 10 - 15 seconds (but how can be sure?) and then i wake up with a gasp. After i wake up i am not panting out of breath so i don't know what to think... maybe it's all in my head, maybe my nightmare is being unable to breathe...
I've experienced that too, and I believe it has to do with interrupted REM sleep in which the body is naturally paralyzed to prevent us from acting out our dreams.

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
I have never been able to control ANY of my dreams. Usually my dreams are very chaotic and full of discontinuities. The few times i have been in between the dream state and the awake state, i became PARALYSED in both states! Unable to move in my dream or on my bed, unable to breathe in my dream or on my bed. The best i can do is move my eyes a little bit... i don't even know if my heart continues to beat. These episodes last for about 10 - 15 seconds (but how can be sure?) and then i wake up with a gasp. After i wake up i am not panting out of breath so i don't know what to think... maybe it's all in my head, maybe my nightmare is being unable to breathe
This is a phenomenon known as "sleep paralysis" and MarkFL is correct about why it happens. Typically when a person is in this state they have a feeling they are not alone. There is a high incidence of seeing a "hag" perched on your chest, sometimes appearing in other places in the room. Probably the worst example of this was a guy I heard of recently who woke up in this paralyzed state and saw a man in his room. Unfortunately for him it was a burglar.

-Dan

- - - Updated - - -

I sometimes find myself in a dream and realize I may be dreaming, so I test whether I am actually dreaming by purposefully violating the laws of nature.
My typical test is to flush a toilet with my mind. If I can do that, it's a dream. (Tmi) Hey, it works.

-Dan

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
Once I entered into GTA something(higher version),
I have also gone hunting for elephants in a grain field and killed about 10!(not 10 factorial).
I have also discovered a laptop in my bathroom.
I have also dreamed about meeting some of you guys.
I have also dreamed about a famous actor (here in my state) studying with me.Actually he is about 50 years old.And he was studying with me.
I have also dreamed about me getting 0 in some exam (but that didn't happen) and also me getting 100% in some other exam (that also didn't happen:()
I have also dreamed myself as other characters and there also had been dreams without me.

Sometimes my dream mixes with reality.I think of my dream as something that really happened.But when I think about it more I realize it was just a dream.