Current progress in quantum gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum gravity and the difficulties in finding review papers on its recent developments. The person has tried searching on Google Scholar but could only find a review on loop quantum gravity. They are looking for papers covering different approaches to the problem. Another person mentions having heard about loop quantum gravity before and questions its status in the physics community. A link to a three-page paper discussing observational evidence that should guide future research is shared, as well as a talk on different approaches to quantum gravity. The conversation ends with the topic being moved to a different forum.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
Where can I find a review of the current progress in quantum gravity?
Hi, there. I am interested in quantum gravity. But I am not sure how to find review papers about its recent developments. I tried "quantum gravity" on google scholar. But I could not find a suitable review other than that about loop quantum gravity. I am not sure what are the other approaches to this problem and I am looking for papers covering them.

BTW, I have heard loop quantum gravity several years ago. In my memory, this theory seemed not to give any new predictions and is questionable. What is its status now in the physics community?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
Summary:: Where can I find a review of the current progress in quantum gravity?

I am interested in quantum gravity. But I am not sure how to find review papers about its recent developments.
Have you already read this current thread in the BTSM forum?

ohwilleke said:
Summary:: One of the leading researchers in Loop Quantum Gravity discusses existing observations that should guide future quantum gravity research in a three page paper.

Rovelli points to three pieces of existing observational evidence that should guide future quantum gravity research. Bottom line:

* abandon Lorentz invariance violating quantum gravity theories,
* abandon supergravity and string theory,
and
* stop working on the anti-deSitter/conformal field theory relationship in gravity and cosmology work (leave it to the condensed matter physicists who have legitimate uses for it).

<<SNIP>>

Moderator's note: Thread moved to Beyond the Standard Model forum.

Thanks, guys. I will check all those information.

Likes berkeman

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify two major theories in physics: quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, and general relativity, which explains the force of gravity at a larger scale. It is an attempt to understand the fundamental nature of the universe by combining these two theories.

2. What is the current progress in quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a highly active area of research, with scientists from various disciplines working to develop new theories and models. Some of the current progress in quantum gravity includes the development of string theory, loop quantum gravity, and other approaches that attempt to reconcile the discrepancies between quantum mechanics and general relativity.

3. Why is quantum gravity important?

Quantum gravity is important because it has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It could also help to resolve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of black holes and the origin of the universe.

4. What are the challenges in developing a theory of quantum gravity?

One of the main challenges in developing a theory of quantum gravity is that it requires reconciling two theories that have been incredibly successful in their respective domains, but are fundamentally incompatible. This requires a deep understanding of both theories and the ability to develop a new framework that can incorporate both of their principles.

5. How close are we to a complete theory of quantum gravity?

While there has been significant progress in the field of quantum gravity, a complete and widely accepted theory has not yet been developed. Scientists continue to work towards this goal, but it is a complex and challenging task that may take many more years of research and experimentation.