Any good books on non-Euclidean geometry?

In summary, I'm looking for books on non-euclidean geometry. I'm not looking for very advanced thing, more on some book with a good introduction to this topic. Michael Henle's Modern Geometries is a good book to start with. There are a lot of non euclidean geometries, with spherical geometry of curvature 1 being the most common.
anachin6000
As the title implies, I'm looking for books on non-euclidean geometry. I'm not looking for very advanced thing, more on some book with a good introduction to this topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Modern Geometries by Michael Henle. I've only read the first edition, but a professor I know taught out of the second edition and recommends that one as well.

Likes anachin6000
there are a lot of non euclidean geometries. restricting to 2 dimensional geometry, the euclidean one is distinguished by being geometry on a flat surface. non euclidean geometries are geometry on various curved surfaces. surfaces can curve in basically two ways, like a sphere (positive curvature) or like a saddle (negative curvature. moreover the curvature can either be constant everywhere or can vary. there are thus essentially three geometries of constant curvature, euclidean geometry of zero curvature, spherical geometry of curvature 1, and hyperbolic geometry of curvature -1. certain of euclid's axioms hold in these geometries and others do not, and assuming which ones should hold cause some people to regard only the hyperbolic geometry of curvature -1 as non euclidean geometry. more generally one can consider geometry on surfaces of varying curvature, or "riemannian geometry.

One can also consider geometries on surfaces that are not complete (some curves that start out like lines do not continue forever but circle back on themselves), giving rise to geometries that are locally euclidean but where some global axioms fail. one example is geometry on a cylinder.

as an introduction to spherical, locally euclidean, and a little hyperbolic geometry i like very much the book Geometries and Groups by Shafarevich and Nikulin. another excellent book is stillwell's geometry of surfaces, and if you want the original book on non euclidean geometry you can take a look at euclides vindicatus by saccheri. if you just want to learn some geometry from one of the all time great geometers, you cannot go wrong with any portion of "geometry and the imagination" by hilbert and cohn-vossen.

Last edited:

Related to Any good books on non-Euclidean geometry?

1. What is non-Euclidean geometry?

Non-Euclidean geometry is a system of geometry that does not follow the rules and principles of traditional Euclidean geometry, which is based on the work of the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid. Non-Euclidean geometry explores the properties and relationships of shapes and figures in spaces that do not conform to the traditional rules of Euclidean geometry.

2. Why is non-Euclidean geometry important?

Non-Euclidean geometry has played a significant role in the development of modern mathematics and physics. It has challenged and expanded our understanding of space, time, and the universe, and has been used to solve complex problems in fields such as general relativity and cosmology. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics and navigation.

3. What are some good books to learn about non-Euclidean geometry?

Some popular and highly recommended books on non-Euclidean geometry include "The Non-Euclidean Revolution" by Richard J. Trudeau, "Non-Euclidean Geometry" by H.S.M Coxeter, and "Non-Euclidean Geometries: Janos Bolyai Memorial Volume" edited by A. Varga and H. Odehnal. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject and are suitable for readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

4. Can non-Euclidean geometry be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, non-Euclidean geometry has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the curvature of space-time, is based on non-Euclidean geometry. Additionally, non-Euclidean geometry has been used to develop more accurate navigation systems and to create realistic 3D computer graphics.

5. Is non-Euclidean geometry difficult to understand?

Non-Euclidean geometry can be challenging to grasp at first, as it deviates from the traditional rules of Euclidean geometry. However, with patience and a solid understanding of basic geometry, it is possible to learn and understand non-Euclidean concepts. It may also be helpful to seek out online resources or join a study group for support and additional explanations.