Modern Geometry book to match my course description

In summary, MATH 4300 is a course on modern geometry that covers various topics such as advanced Euclidean geometry, non-Euclidean geometry, and projective geometry. It requires a minimum grade of C in the prerequisite course MATH 3450 and can be taken twice for credit with instructor approval. The recommended textbooks for this course are Modern Geometries by Michael Henle and Geometry: Euclid and Beyond by Robin Hartshorne. Other suggested resources for further studies in geometry include Miles Reid's books, William Fulton's book on algebraic curves, and Rick Miranda's book on Riemann surfaces and algebraic curves.
MidgetDwarf
MATH 4300 - Modern Geometry
(3)
Prerequisite: MATH 3450 with minimum C grade. Topics selected from advanced Euclidean geometry, non-Euclidean geometry, projective geometry. May be repeated once for credit with approval of instructor as subject matter changes.

The above paragraph is the course description for a course I am interested in taking. Can anyone recommend me a book to study over the summer? The teacher does not use any official course book.

How difficult is this course? Things I should know before my first day? Math3450 is a proof course.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the textbook Modern Geometries by Michael Henle. I have the 1996 1st edition. There is a more expensive 2001 2nd edition, but I think the 1st edition is fine for covering introductory non-Euclidean geometry.

I think the best recent geometry book is Geometry: Euclid and beyond, by Robin Hartshorne, with a copy of Euclid at hand for reference, such as the green lion press version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1888009195/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks for the rec. I do have the Green Lion edition of Euclid (hardcopy). My school has a copy of Hartshorn book. Maybe I should go through Euclid. I have been putting it off for 2 years.

@ I think I read somewhere that you do algebraic geometry. The field of Geometry has always fascinated me. If I wanted to say, learn algebraic geometry, or even become an algebraic geometer. What are some of the core classes or books, I should tackle as an undergrad?

maybe miles reid's books, undergraduate commutative algebra and undergraduate algebraic geometry, then maybe william fulton's book on algebraic curves (free on his website)?

http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/~wfulton/CurveBook.pdf

but algebraic geometry can also use algebraic topology and complex analysis, both one and several variables, as well as homological algebra.

another excellent undergraduate/graduate book is rimenna surfaces and algebraic curves by Rick Miranda, and algebraic curves by robert walker, but that is more old fashioned.

Related to Modern Geometry book to match my course description

1. What topics are covered in the Modern Geometry book?

The Modern Geometry book covers topics such as Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry, transformations, vectors, and coordinate geometry. It also includes applications of geometry in real-world scenarios.

2. Is the Modern Geometry book suitable for beginners?

Yes, the Modern Geometry book is designed to cater to students at the beginner level. It includes clear explanations and examples to help students understand the concepts.

3. Does the Modern Geometry book have practice problems and exercises?

Yes, the Modern Geometry book includes a variety of practice problems and exercises at the end of each chapter to help students reinforce their understanding of the concepts.

4. Is the Modern Geometry book updated with the latest developments in the field?

Yes, the Modern Geometry book is regularly updated to include the latest developments and advancements in the field of geometry.

5. Can I use the Modern Geometry book for self-study?

Yes, the Modern Geometry book can be used for self-study. It includes clear explanations and examples, as well as practice problems and exercises, to help students learn at their own pace.