ANSWER CHECK: Sum of Double Integrals involving Polar Conversion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that involves converting xy limits to polar coordinates and integrating over a specific region. The first approach involves drawing an xy footprint, but the second approach involves converting xy into polar coordinates. After some discussion, it is determined that the second approach is correct and gives the answer of 15. The conversation also includes a brief explanation of the steps involved in solving the problem.
Pull and Twist
Here is the given problem...

View attachment 6022

And I first approached it by drawing the xy footprint to get my theta and radius limits to convert to polar.

Then I overlooked the original xy function and pretty much took the area of that footprint (highlighted in green.) That gave me a very nice number.

Later I realized that I should have converted xy into polar as well as the object is probably intended to have varying density (highlighted in red.) With that approach I got the answer 15. Also a nice clean number.

Can anyone verify that the second answer is correct or am I approaching this the wrong way?

Thanks.

View attachment 6023

And here's the footprint I drew...
View attachment 6024

Attachments

• calc4prob1-given_web.jpg
    calc4prob1-given_web.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 45
  • calc4prob1_web.jpg
    calc4prob1_web.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 46
  • calc4prob1footprint.jpg
    calc4prob1footprint.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 46
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, why "ignore xy"?? Obviously that will change the answer!. The region over which you are integrating- what you call the "footprint"- is the region bounded below by the x-axis, y= 0, or [tex]\theta= 0[/tex] in polar coordinates, above by y= x, [tex]\theta= \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] in polar coordinates, on the left by the circle [tex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/tex], r= 2 in polar coordinates, and on the right by the circle [tex]x^2+ y^2= 16[/tex], r= 5 in polar coordinates. To integrate over that region in polar coordinates integrate [tex]\int_0^{\pi/4}\int_2^4 f(r, \theta) r dr d\theta[/tex] where "[tex]f(r, \theta)[/tex]" is xy in polar coordinates.

Yes, 15 is the correct answer!

Added for those who might be interested (and because I just can't resist):
In polar coordinates, [tex]x= r cos(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]y= r sin(\theta)[/tex] so [tex]xy= r^2 sin(theta)cos(\theta)[/tex].

The integral becomes [tex]\int_0^{\pi/4}\int_2^4 r^2 sin(\theta)cos(\theta) (r dr d\theta)[/tex]. Since the integrand is just a product of functions of r, [tex]r^3[/tex], and [tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]sin(\theta)cos(\theta)[/tex], and the limits of integration are constants, we can separate that integral as [tex]\left(\int_0^{\pi/4}sin(theta)cos(\theta)d\theta\right)\left(\int_2^4 r^3 dr\right)[/tex].

The second integral is obviously [tex]\int_2^4 r^3 dr= \left[\frac{1}{4}r^4\right]_2^4= 64- 4= 60[/tex].

To do the first integral, let [tex]u= sin(\theta)[/tex] so that [tex]du= cos(\theta)d\theta[/tex]. When [tex]\theta= 0[/tex], [tex]u= sin(0)= 0[/tex] and when [tex]\theta= \pi/4[/tex], [tex]u= 1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] so we have [tex]\int_0^{\pi/4} sin(theta)cos(\theta)d\theta= \int_0^{1/\sqrt{2}} u du= \left[\frac{1}{2}u^2\right]_0^{1/\sqrt{2}}= \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)= \frac{1}{4}[/tex].

So the original integral is [tex]\frac{60}{4}= 15[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Okay, why "ignore xy"?? Obviously that will change the answer!. The region over which you are integrating- what you call the "footprint"- is the region bounded below by the x-axis, y= 0, or [tex]\theta= 0[/tex] in polar coordinates, above by y= x, [tex]\theta= \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] in polar coordinates, on the left by the circle [tex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/tex], r= 2 in polar coordinates, and on the right by the circle [tex]x^2+ y^2= 16[/tex], r= 5 in polar coordinates. To integrate over that region in polar coordinates integrate [tex]\int_0^{\pi/4}\int_2^4 f(r, \theta) r dr d\theta[/tex] where "[tex]f(r, \theta)[/tex]" is xy in polar coordinates.

Yes, 15 is the correct answer!

I didn't mean to ignore it... and obviously I realized I did after the fact... then I second guessed myself.

Thank you for verifying that I took the correct approach the second time around.

Related to ANSWER CHECK: Sum of Double Integrals involving Polar Conversion

1. What is a double integral involving polar conversion?

A double integral involving polar conversion is a type of integration that involves converting a Cartesian equation into polar coordinates and then integrating over the resulting polar region. This is typically used when the Cartesian equation is more difficult to solve or visualize, making the polar conversion a more useful method.

2. How do you convert a double integral from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from Cartesian to polar coordinates, you first need to identify the limits of integration for both x and y in terms of r and θ. This can be done by drawing the region in the xy-plane and using the relationship between Cartesian and polar coordinates (x = r cos θ, y = r sin θ). Then, you can substitute these limits into the integral and change the differential from dA to r dr dθ.

3. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates in a double integral?

The purpose of using polar coordinates in a double integral is to simplify the integration process and make it easier to solve or visualize. In some cases, the polar conversion may also reveal symmetries or patterns in the region that can make the integral easier to evaluate.

4. How do you calculate the sum of double integrals involving polar conversion?

To calculate the sum of double integrals involving polar conversion, you first need to convert the Cartesian equation into polar coordinates and set up the integral with the appropriate limits of integration. Then, you can solve the integral using standard integration techniques. Finally, you can evaluate the integral and add up the results to get the overall sum.

5. Can double integrals involving polar conversion be used in any situation?

No, double integrals involving polar conversion are typically only used in situations where the Cartesian equation is difficult to solve or visualize. In other cases, it may be more efficient to use Cartesian coordinates for the integration. It ultimately depends on the specific problem and the preferences of the mathematician or scientist solving it.