Finding Polar Region Between r=2 and r=4cos(theta)

In summary, to find the area in green, you would need to find the area in red and subtract one, and to find the area in red, you would need to find the area in green and subtract one.
Pindrought
I'm really stumped here as usual. Here is what I've managed to figure out.

I'm given two equations.
r=2
r=4cos(theta)I converted them both to rectangular coordinates to get an idea of what the graph would look like.

do1b.png

I need to find either the area in red or the area in green. (In this case, I tried to find the area in green) .If I have the area in red or green, I know that I can just subtract one of them from pi*r^2 which in this case would be 4pi to get the area of the other section.

The problem I am facing right now is setting up the integral the proper way. I was thinking of going about it like this.

so0p.png

ndjm.png

So a few questions. First, did I approach this in a correct way? Second, how would I know how to set this up to solve the integral using polar coordinates instead of converting it all to rectangular form?

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I tried to make this as clear as possible to see where I'm making my mistake or what I should be doing differently.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would prefer to do this problem using geometry rather than calculus.

The red area here is one half of the area that you are looking for. The two circles intersect at the points $(1, \pm\sqrt3)$ (by Pythagoras). So the red and green regions together form a $120^\circ$ sector equal to one-third of the left circle. Thus the red and green regions have a combined area $\dfrac{4\pi}3.$ The green triangle has area (half base times height) $\sqrt3.$ So the red region has area $\dfrac{4\pi}3 - \sqrt3.$ The area that you want is twice the area of the red region, namely $\dfrac{8\pi}3 - 2\sqrt3.$

So your answer is correct (and of course the calculus method is just as valid as the geometric method).

Attachments

• circle7.png
    circle7.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 97
Hi,
You wanted to know how to do this using polar coordinates and polar areas. The attachment shows how to do this:

View attachment 7769

Attachments

• johng008.png
    johng008.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding Polar Region Between r=2 and r=4cos(theta)

1. What is the equation for finding the polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta)?

The equation for finding the polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta) is r=2 and r=4cos(theta), where r represents the distance from the origin and theta represents the angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

2. How do you graph the polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta)?

To graph the polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta), plot points with varying values for r and theta within the given range. Then, connect these points with a smooth curve to form the desired region.

3. What is the area of the polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta)?

The area of the polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta) can be found by integrating the polar equation from the inner radius (r=2) to the outer radius (r=4cos(theta)) and then multiplying by 1/2. This is because the area of a sector in polar coordinates is given by A = (1/2)•r^2•theta.

4. How do you find the boundaries of the polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta)?

The boundaries of the polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta) can be found by setting each of the given equations equal to each other and solving for the values of theta where they intersect. These values will serve as the upper and lower limits for the integral when finding the area of the region.

5. What is the significance of the polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta)?

The polar region between r=2 and r=4cos(theta) represents a sector of a circle with an inner radius of 2 and an outer radius of 4cos(theta). This region can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the shape of a satellite's orbit around a planet.