Another Stokes' Theorem Problem

In summary, we are using Stokes' theorem to verify the relationship between a given surface S and boundary dS, as well as a given vector field F. By calculating the curl of F and parametrizing the surface, we can then set up the surface integral and evaluate it to prove the theorem.
lumpyduster

Homework Statement

Verify Stokes' theorem for the given surface S and boundary dS and vector fields F

S = x2+y2+z2, z≥0
dS= x2+y2=1

F = <y,z,x>

Homework Equations

Stokes' theorem:
∫∫(∇×F)dS = ∫F⋅ds

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Curl of F:

∇×F = <-1,-1,-1>

2. After getting the curl, I just treated this as a surface integral, ∫∫F⋅dS = ∫∫F⋅(Tu×Tv)dudv

I parametrized the sphere thusly,

x = sinφcosθ
y=sinφsinθ
z=cosφ

Tφ= <cosφcosθ, cosφsinθ, -sinφ>
Tθ= <-sinφsinθ, sinφcosθ, 0>

Tφ×Tθ = <sin2φcosθ, sin2φsinθ, sinφcosθ>

Am I doing this right so far? I asked a friend what he would do, and this is what he had for dS:
<dydz, dxdz, dxdy> (Idk how to get this).

So then he got:

∫∫(∇×F)⋅dS = ∫∫(<-1, -1, -1>⋅<dydz, dxdz, dxdy>) = -∫∫dydz+dxdz+dxdy, but I don't know how to integrate that...

Physics news on Phys.org
lumpyduster said:

Homework Statement

Verify Stokes' theorem for the given surface S and boundary dS and vector fields F

S = x2+y2+z2, z≥0
dS= x2+y2=1

F = <y,z,x>

Homework Equations

Stokes' theorem:
∫∫(∇×F)dS = ∫F⋅ds

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Curl of F:

∇×F = <-1,-1,-1>

2. After getting the curl, I just treated this as a surface integral, ∫∫F⋅dS = ∫∫F⋅(Tu×Tv)dudv

I parametrized the sphere thusly,

x = sinφcosθ
y=sinφsinθ
z=cosφ

Tφ= <cosφcosθ, cosφsinθ, -sinφ>
Tθ= <-sinφsinθ, sinφcosθ, 0>

Am I doing this right so far? I asked a friend what he would do, and this is what he had for dS:
<dydz, dxdz, dxdy> (Idk how to get this).

So then he got:

∫∫(∇×F)⋅dS = ∫∫(<-1, -1, -1>⋅<dydz, dxdz, dxdy>) = -∫∫dydz+dxdz+dxdy, but I don't know how to integrate that...

I would ignore your friend's comments. Just continue what you are doing. You are now going to calculate$$
\iint \langle -1,-1,-1\rangle \cdot T_\phi \times T_\theta~d\phi d\theta$$with appropriate limits. Be sure to check whether you need a minus sign for orientation or not.

Likes lumpyduster
lumpyduster said:
There's a common factor of ##\sin\phi##. If you pull it out front, you have ##\sin\phi \langle \sin\phi \cos\theta, \sin\phi \sin\theta, \cos\phi \rangle##. If you recognize that vector, you should be able to convince yourself you're on the right track.

Last edited:
Likes lumpyduster
lumpyduster said:

Homework Statement

S = x2+y2+z2, z≥0
This defines a surface?
A half-sphere of radius sqrt(S)?

Related to Another Stokes' Theorem Problem

What is Another Stokes' Theorem Problem?

Another Stokes' Theorem Problem is a mathematical concept in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary of the surface. It is a generalization of the classical Stokes' Theorem.

How is Another Stokes' Theorem Problem different from the classical Stokes' Theorem?

Another Stokes' Theorem Problem involves a more general form of integration over a surface, including surfaces that are not necessarily flat or planar. It also allows for more complex vector fields that may vary in all three dimensions, rather than just two as in the classical version.

What are the applications of Another Stokes' Theorem Problem?

Another Stokes' Theorem Problem has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It is also used in the field of differential geometry to study differentiable manifolds.

Are there any limitations to Another Stokes' Theorem Problem?

Another Stokes' Theorem Problem is limited to vector fields that are differentiable and have continuous partial derivatives. It also only applies to closed surfaces, meaning that the surface must have a defined boundary.

How can I solve a Another Stokes' Theorem Problem?

To solve a Another Stokes' Theorem Problem, you will need to use the fundamental theorem of calculus, as well as knowledge of vector calculus and surface integrals. You will also need to carefully define the surface and boundary of the problem, and ensure that all necessary conditions are met for the theorem to be applied.