Proving a form ##z=f(r)## to be a surface of revolution

In summary, equation of a surface in cylindrical coordinates of the form ##z=f(r)## represents a surface of revolution about the ##z## axis.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

Suppose that a surface has an equation in cylindrical coordinates of the form ##z=f(r)##. Explain why it must be a surface of revolution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I consider ##z=f(r)## in terms of spherical coordinates.

## p cosφ = f \sqrt{(p sinφcosθ)^2 + (p sinφsinθ)^2} ##

## p cosφ= f\sqrt{(p sinφ)^2} ##

## p cosφ=f(p sinφ)##

##cosφ= f (sinφ)##

##∴φ= \cos^{-1} f(sinφ)##

Since equation is independent of ##\theta##, it describes a surface of revolution about the ##z## axis.

Is my prove right or acceptable?

Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a surface has an equation in cylindrical coordinates of the form ##z=f(r)##. Explain why it must be a surface of revolution.

Homework Equations

## p cosφ = f \sqrt{(p sinφcosθ)^2 + (p sinφsinθ)^2} ##

## p cosφ= f\sqrt{(p sinφ)^2} ##

## p cosφ=f(p sinφ)##

##cosφ= f (sinφ)##

##∴φ= \cos^{-1} f(sinφ)##

Since equation is independent of ##\theta##, it describes a surface of revolution about the ##z## axis.

Is my prove right or acceptable?

You are using spherical, not cylindreical coordinates. Also: in LaTeX, put a "\" before sin, cos, etc. Without it, the results are ugly and hard to read, like ##sin \phi cos \theta##; with it, they look good, as in ##\sin \phi \cos \theta##.

Ray Vickson said:
You are using spherical, not cylindreical coordinates. Also: in LaTeX, put a "\" before sin, cos, etc. Without it, the results are ugly and hard to read, like ##sin \phi cos \theta##; with it, they look good, as in ##\sin \phi \cos \theta##.
Okay! Thanks for the advice! Just started using it, so sorry for the ugly text. I don't have any idea of starting the proof using cylindrical coordinates, that's why I converted it to spherical ones. But I will give it a try now.

The cylindrical coordinates are in the form ##(r,\theta, z)##. I assume that ##r \geq 0##
So ##r= \sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)}##

and ##z=f(\sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)})##, which gives a unique value. These gives a set of points that form a line in ##3D## space.

Since equation is independent of ##\theta##, line is the same for any value of ##\theta##. These similar set of lines form a surface of revolution.

Is it right in any way at all? I'm guessing here.

toforfiltum said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Why introduce spherical coordinates, which have nothing to do with this question?
If you have a surface of revolution revolved about the ##z## axis, that would mean ##z(r,\theta_1) = z(r,\theta_2)## for any ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## wouldn't it? Is that true in your case?

LCKurtz said:
Why introduce spherical coordinates, which have nothing to do with this question?
If you have a surface of revolution revolved about the ##z## axis, that would mean ##z(r,\theta_1) = z(r,\theta_2)## for any ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## wouldn't it? Is that true in your case?
Yes. So, is what I'm saying above right? But I'm not sure if having a unique set of points will form a line, though.
It depends on ##f##, right?

Oh, I think I see now why ##z=f(r)## represents a surface of revolution. Using the explanation on ##zr## planes given by @LCKurtz , each value of ##r## gives a value of ##z##, and the set of values of ##r## gives its respective values of ##z##. Since equation is independent of ##\theta##, these set of points are the same for all values of ##\theta##, and this is the reason why it forms a surface of revolution.

Am I right?

Related to Proving a form ##z=f(r)## to be a surface of revolution

What is a surface of revolution?

A surface of revolution is a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional curve, called the generatrix, around a fixed axis.

What is the process of proving a form ##z=f(r)## to be a surface of revolution?

The process involves showing that the surface can be generated by rotating a curve around a fixed axis. This can be done by finding a relation between the variables r and z, and showing that this relation can be obtained through rotation.

What are the key features of a surface of revolution?

A surface of revolution has a constant radius of curvature, meaning that the curvature of the surface remains the same at any point along the curve. It also has rotational symmetry, meaning that it looks the same when rotated around its axis.

What are some common examples of surfaces of revolution?

Examples include a sphere, a cylinder, a cone, and a torus. These shapes can all be generated by rotating a curve around a fixed axis.

What is the significance of proving a form ##z=f(r)## to be a surface of revolution?

Proving a form ##z=f(r)## to be a surface of revolution allows us to understand the underlying geometric structure of the surface and to make predictions about its properties and behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture.