Anguluar momentum Commutation Identity

In summary: Its a bonus problem, and the last bonus problem was about 6 pages of tedious trigonometric stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't, the identity is from dirac but I can't find his original derivation. Thanks for your help though.
decerto

Homework Statement

Given that [itex][A_i,J_j]=i\hbar\epsilon_{ijk}Ak[/itex] where A_i is not invariant under rotation

Show that [itex][J^2,Ai]=-2i\hbar\epsilon_{ijk}J_jAk-2\hbar^2A_i[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex][AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B[/itex]

[itex][A,B]=-[B,A][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex][/itex]
[itex][J^2,Ai]=[J_x^2,Ai]+[J_y^2,Ai]+[J_z^2,Ai][/itex]
[itex]=J_x[J_x,Ai]+[J_x,Ai]J_x+J_y[J_y,Ai]+[J_y,Ai]J_y+J_z[J_z,Ai]+[J_z,Ai]J_z[/itex]
[itex]=-J_x\epsilon_{ixk}Ak-\epsilon_{ixk}AkJ_x-J_y\epsilon_{iyk}Ak-\epsilon_{iyk}AkJ_y-J_z\epsilon_{izk}Ak-\epsilon_{izk}AkJ_z[/itex]

Not sure where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
You left out a factor of ##i\hbar## in getting to your last line.

Note that your final line can be written compactly as ##-\epsilon_{ijk}(J_jA_k + A_kJ_j)##

TSny said:
You left out a factor of ##i\hbar## in getting to your last line.

Note that your final line can be written compactly as ##-\epsilon_{ijk}(J_jA_k + A_kJ_j)##

Thanks that looks a lot easier to deal with, I guess I use that ##A_kJ_j= J_jA_k-[A_k,J_j]##?

decerto said:
Thanks that looks a lot easier to deal with, I guess I use that ##A_kJ_j= J_jA_k-[A_k,J_j]##?
That's the right idea, but there's a sign error in your expression ##A_kJ_j= J_jA_k-[A_k,J_j]##.

TSny said:
That's the right idea, but there's a sign error in your expression ##A_kJ_j= J_jA_k-[A_k,J_j]##.
I have the exact same thing written?

Last edited:
decerto said:
I have the exact same thing written?
Yes, I was just rewriting the same expression that you wrote. But the expression is incorrect due to sign errors.

TSny said:
Yes, I was just rewriting the same expression that you wrote. But the expression is incorrect due to sign errors.
Ah right sorry, I had the right expression on the page and it worked so I was confused why you were correcting me

TSny said:
To prove the full identity ##[J^2,[J^2,A]]=2\hbar^2(J^2A+AJ^2)-4\hbar^2(A\cdot J)J## can I just use a nested expression of what I just proved, as in let ##[J^2,Ai]=Ai## in my original identity

decerto said:
To prove the full identity ##[J^2,[J^2,A]]=2\hbar^2(J^2A+AJ^2)-4\hbar^2(A\cdot J)J## can I just use a nested expression of what I just proved, as in let ##[J^2,Ai]=Ai## in my original identity

Yes, but of course ##[J^2,Ai] \neq Ai##. I managed to get the result, but only after a couple of pages of tedious index manipulations. I suspect there is a more elegant way to get to the result, but I don't see it.

TSny said:
Yes, but of course ##[J^2,Ai] \neq Ai##. I managed to get the result, but only after a couple of pages of tedious index manipulations. I suspect there is a more elegant way to get to the result, but I don't see it.
Its a bonus problem, and the last bonus problem was about 6 pages of tedious trigonometric stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't, the identity is from dirac but I can't find his original derivation. Thanks for your help though

Related to Anguluar momentum Commutation Identity

1. What is the Angular Momentum Commutation Identity?

The Angular Momentum Commutation Identity is a mathematical relationship that describes how the angular momentum of a system changes under the influence of a rotational force. It states that the commutator of two angular momentum operators is equal to the product of the two operators multiplied by the imaginary unit.

2. Why is the Angular Momentum Commutation Identity important?

The Angular Momentum Commutation Identity is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of rotational systems. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used in many equations and formulas.

3. How is the Angular Momentum Commutation Identity derived?

The Angular Momentum Commutation Identity is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the properties of angular momentum operators. It involves the use of commutators, which are mathematical operations that describe how two operators act on a system.

4. What are some applications of the Angular Momentum Commutation Identity?

The Angular Momentum Commutation Identity has many applications in physics, including in the study of atomic and molecular structures, nuclear reactions, and particle physics. It is also used in engineering and technology, such as in the design of motors and gyroscopes.

5. Is the Angular Momentum Commutation Identity always true?

Yes, the Angular Momentum Commutation Identity is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is always true. It has been extensively tested and verified through experimental observations and is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of rotational systems.