Understanding the Determinant of Commutator Matrices in Angular Momentum Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the anti-commutativity of angular momentum matrices and their determinants. The questioner is confused about the result of the determinant of the commutator and its relation to the individual determinants. The expert points out that the second line of the proof is invalid and provides an explanation for the discrepancy.
ognik
Hi, I've just wierded myself out so time to stop for today, but afore I go ...

Angular momentum matrices (also Pauli) anti-commute as $ [J_x, J_y] = iJ_z $

So $ Det\left( [J_x, J_y] \right) = i Det(J_z) $
$\therefore Det(J_xJ_y)-Det(J_yJ_x) = i Det(J_z) $
$\therefore Det(J_x)Det(J_y)-Det(J_y)Det(J_x) = i Det(J_z) $

I think you can see why I am confused here, usual question (sigh) what have I done wrong please?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Hi, I've just wierded myself out so time to stop for today, but afore I go ...

Angular momentum matrices (also Pauli) anti-commute as $ [J_x, J_y] = iJ_z $

So $ Det\left( [J_x, J_y] \right) = i Det(J_z) $
$\therefore Det(J_xJ_y)-Det(J_yJ_x) = i Det(J_z) $
$\therefore Det(J_x)Det(J_y)-Det(J_y)Det(J_x) = i Det(J_z) $

I think you can see why I am confused here, usual question (sigh) what have I done wrong please?
\(\displaystyle |x + y| \neq |x| + |y| \)

-Dan

Also,
$$\text{det}(iJ_z)\not=i \, \text{det}(J_z),\qquad \text{but} \qquad \text{det}(iJ_z)=i^n \, \text{det}(J_z),$$
where $n\times n$ is the size of the $J_z$ matrix.

topsquark said:
\(\displaystyle |x + y| \neq |x| + |y| \)

-Dan
Sorry, don't understand, how does relate to commutator? Ta

ognik said:
Sorry, don't understand, how does relate to commutator? Ta

I could be wrong, but I think topsquark is saying that going from the first to the second line is invalid. That is,
$$\text{det}(AB-BA) \not= \text{det}(AB) - \text{det}(BA).$$

Sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees, thanks guys.

Related to Understanding the Determinant of Commutator Matrices in Angular Momentum Systems

1. What is the determinant of a commutator?

The determinant of a commutator is a mathematical concept used to determine whether a set of elements or operations can be rearranged in a specific order without changing the end result.

2. How is the determinant of a commutator calculated?

The determinant of a commutator is calculated by taking the difference between the product of the elements in their original order and the product of the elements in their rearranged order.

3. What does the determinant of a commutator represent?

The determinant of a commutator represents the extent to which a set of elements or operations can be rearranged without altering the end result. A determinant of 0 indicates that the elements cannot be rearranged, while a determinant of 1 indicates that they can be rearranged without any change.

4. How is the determinant of a commutator used in physics?

In physics, the determinant of a commutator is used to determine the symmetry of physical laws and equations. If the determinant is non-zero, the laws and equations are considered to have a symmetric structure, while a determinant of zero indicates a broken symmetry.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the determinant of a commutator?

Yes, the determinant of a commutator has various real-world applications, including in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, economics, and computer science.