Angular Motion: Calculating Minimum Radius of Curvature for Safe Plane Maneuvers

In summary, according to the information provided, the centripetal acceleration on a body traveling in a circle with a radius of R is given by Fc = mv²/r. If the mass of the object is m, then the maximum centripetal acceleration that the pilot will experience is 9g.
SS2006
The human body can safely stand an acceleration 9 times that due to gravity. With what minimum radius of curvature may a pilot sfely turn the plane upward at the end of a dive if the plane's speed is 770km/h.

i did a quesotin before this, which had a roller coaster
i did mgh at a = 1/2 mv square at a + mgh b. my v square was derived
froma free body diagram i drew, and i set mvsquare/r = fnet
and rearranged until i had the equation equal to V.
and then solved for H (from mgh at a) and i got the answer.
For this i don't know wat to do, can i use the same formula, but i don't have both heights, just the first one
i just wanted a startup

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem has to do with centripetal acceleration.

Can you see how to set up eqns for centripetal acceln/force from the info given ?

energy isn't necessary for this question. It's all centripetal motion.

reallyy! so this is different from the roller coaster q
im surprised now
what formulas may help

somebody...

What is the formula for the centripetal force on a body traveling in a circle,of radius R, with an angular velocity of ω ?

v = w square tiems r?

or
mv square over r

Last edited:
SS2006 said:
v = mv square over r

Ok, this becomes,

Fc = mv²/r

and you want to find r.

What is the maximum value that Fc can be such that the pilot only experiences 9g ?

Then solve for r.

kkk i see
what bout mass
can i lave that 1?

The mass will cancel out.

ans...518.69 meters
how disgracful of u guys. can't even solve such easy question.
haha...got outbeaten by a 14 year old nutcase

vijay123 said:
ans...518.69 meters
how disgracful of u guys. can't even solve such easy question.
haha...got outbeaten by a 14 year old nutcase
It is much more productive, if one guides a poster through the question rather than providing answers or solutions. What has SS2006 gained from your post?

One would hope only confirmation, because if he's still waiting on an answer then his assignment might be a bit late. ;)

Hawknc said:
One would hope only confirmation, because if he's still waiting on an answer then his assignment might be a bit late. ;)
Didn't spot the date:wink:

lol...sry guys..i jus did dat for fun...
ok here it goes...
mv(squared)/radius=m9g
if you sub. in the values of the porblem by making r the subject of the formula, i got the ans.
radius=v(sqaured)/9g
were v is velcity, m is mass and g is 9.8ms(sqaured).
remeber to convert the km/h into m/sec.
sry for any hurt feelings
that wus jus for fun,
regards
vijay

lol, i glanced through the pages and found this, the prob. wus easy yet know one gave a definate ans to the solution. that's were i budged in...sry..guys.

how we should cancel m by this formule mv^2/r = ma ?

Related to Angular Motion: Calculating Minimum Radius of Curvature for Safe Plane Maneuvers

1. What is angular motion on a plane?

Angular motion on a plane is the movement of an object along a curved path on a two-dimensional surface. It involves the rotation of an object around an axis that is perpendicular to the plane.

2. What are some examples of angular motion on a plane?

Some examples of angular motion on a plane include the rotation of a wheel, the swinging of a pendulum, and the movement of a satellite in orbit.

3. What is the difference between angular motion and linear motion?

Angular motion involves the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear motion involves the movement of an object in a straight line. Angular motion is also described using angular velocity and acceleration, while linear motion is described using linear velocity and acceleration.

4. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the angular displacement of an object by the time it takes to make that displacement. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s).

5. What factors affect angular motion on a plane?

The factors that affect angular motion on a plane include the shape and size of the object, the force applied to the object, and the distance between the object's center of mass and the axis of rotation. Friction and air resistance can also affect angular motion on a plane.