2nd Order differential equation.

In summary, the conversation is about solving a 2nd order differential equation using numerical methods. The user is unsure about a certain part and is seeking clarification and advice on how to approach the problem. Suggestions are given to use a small time step and well-known numerical methods.
TyErd
2nd Order differential equation, numerical method

Homework Statement

I've attached the question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

u=y and v=y′

let y'=dy/dt = du/dt = v
dv/dt = u''
therefore, dv/dt + 7(v)^2 +3x^2 *y^3 = 2
dv/dt = 2 - (7(v)^2) - (3x^2)*(u^3)
and dx/dt = 1, where x(t0)=0

and u(t0)=4, v(t0)=8

the only part I am not sure is the part I've bolded. i think x(t0)=0 however in all the other options it has x(t0)=1 so I am pretty much only left with the "none of these" option.

Attachments

• 22222222222222222222.png
    22222222222222222222.png
    26 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are trying to solve a 2nd order differential equation using numerical methods. This is a common and useful technique in scientific research and engineering.

I would like to suggest that instead of setting x(t0)=0, you should consider using a small time step h and iterating over the range of x values that you are interested in. This will allow you to approximate the solution to the differential equation at different points along the x axis.

Furthermore, I would recommend using a well-known numerical method such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method to solve your differential equation. These methods have been extensively studied and proven to be effective in solving a wide range of differential equations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

Related to 2nd Order differential equation.

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that contains a second derivative of an unknown function. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth.

2. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a 2nd order differential equation, including separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation and its initial conditions.

3. What is the difference between a 1st and 2nd order differential equation?

A 1st order differential equation contains a first derivative of an unknown function, while a 2nd order differential equation contains a second derivative. This means that a 2nd order differential equation is more complex and requires more information to solve.

4. What is the physical significance of a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is often used to model physical systems that involve acceleration, such as motion and vibration. It can also represent more complex systems, such as heat transfer and population dynamics.

5. Are 2nd order differential equations used in real-world applications?

Yes, 2nd order differential equations are used in numerous real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, biology, and economics. They are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of dynamic systems.