An investigation on the factors affecting skiing

In summary, the factors that affect a skiers maximum velocity downhill skiing are: the skiers mass, the skiers incline, the skiers waxing/waxing technique, the skiers slope, and the skiers altitude.
maturk
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hello everybody! I am posting this in hopes of further guidance and help on a high school essay assignment.

I am required to make an investigation with an experiment(s) that explores a certain physical phenomena (preferably classical physics). The maximum word count for this assignment is 4,000 words which means I have a lot of room for mathematics, an experiment(s), and thorough analysis. Lately I have been thinking of topics such as the physics of skipping stones (very difficult to experiment in a high school laboratory), tipping vs slipping (too simple in my opinion for this large essay), and even physics of slinkys; however, I have had immense trouble thinking of experiments for these topics that are advanced and technical enough to be analysed in depth. For this essay, it was suggested to have theoretical and experimental portions in it just like many other real physics papers that have both theoretical accepts and some experimentation on these accepts.

Now I am thinking about writing this essay about the factors that affect the maximum velocity of downhill skiing.
The factors that I already have in mind are:
  • The methods of decreasing friction between the skis and snow with wax and things like that.
  • I could also analyse how a person should stand on the skis (center of gravity) that would allow the fastest speed. (This is probably fully theoretical and probably doesn't need an experiment).
  • The shape of the skis.
  • The angle of the slope that the person (or experimental object) skiis down. Not sure if this is any good though, because wouldn't higher angles just make the person go faster (at least in my head)?
  • The quality of snow i.e. densly packed or lightly packed, ice vs snow, and things like that.
So, those are the things I have thought of so far. The only thing is that... I don't know what sort of experiments I could do to test these factors or the sort of theoretical physics that I should do (like math and all). After all this is a long physics assignment that will require a lot of mathematics, analysis, and physics. Note, I am only a high school student with access to an ordinary school laboratory, so doing really fancy stuff with cool equipment and all doesn't seem very feasible. I really like this topic right now and I am trying to pursue it.

Anyways, do you guys have any experiments in mind that I could do to test these factors?
Any suggestions for further analysis and/or factors to consider?
Any theoretical ideas I should try to do and research?
Any opinions about the "goodness" or worth of my chosen topic?

Thanks in advance, cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are three forces involved.
For:
Driving force of gravity.
(dependent on skier mass and incline angle)
Against:
Opposing force of air drag.
(proportional to the velocity squared)
Opposing force of sliding friction.
(deemed to be constant, regardless of speed)

Acceleration at any given speed (below terminal) is: net force / mass
Top speed (terminal speed) is when the for and against forces balance.

Likes maturk
You might also consider altitude, which changes the force of air drag, due to the variable density of the air with different altitudes above sea level.

Likes maturk
Hey,

I'm an alpine ski racer, fastest snow is spring snow, when it melts the day before and gets frozen over night, in the morning the slope is very very hard and icy but not as cold as ice, because very cold snow is really slow. You need to wax a very hard hydrocarbon wax as a base and then a very high fluor wax. The Center of mass should be in front of your ankles, just look up downhill position on google. Or speed skiing. Fast ski's are not width, but if you make them too small you won't be stable and. not be able to reach your max speed when you have to stand up out of your downhill position to look for balance.

Likes maturk
temporausch_falllinie_speedskierlaubt20120325185542.jpg

Likes maturk

1. What are the main factors that affect skiing performance?

The main factors that affect skiing performance include: snow conditions, slope steepness and difficulty, equipment quality and condition, physical fitness and technique of the skier.

2. How do snow conditions affect skiing?

Snow conditions play a crucial role in skiing as they can greatly impact the speed, control, and overall experience of the skier. Factors like temperature, moisture content, and grooming can affect the texture and density of the snow, making it easier or more challenging to ski on.

3. How does slope steepness and difficulty affect skiing?

The steepness and difficulty of a slope can greatly affect skiing performance. A steeper slope requires more advanced skills and strength, while a gentler slope is more suitable for beginners. Additionally, the terrain features such as moguls, trees, and jumps can increase the difficulty level and also impact the technique and speed of the skier.

4. What role does equipment quality and condition play in skiing?

The quality and condition of skiing equipment can significantly impact performance. A well-maintained and properly fitted equipment can provide better control, stability, and speed, while old or damaged equipment can hinder the skier's performance and even cause accidents.

5. How does physical fitness affect skiing?

Physical fitness is essential for skiing as it requires strength, endurance, and balance. A physically fit skier will be able to endure longer hours on the slopes and also have better control and technique, resulting in a more enjoyable and successful skiing experience.