Amount of work done in an isothermal expansion

In summary, 500 calories are added to a gas inside a cylinder with a piston. The volume of the gas doubles without any change in it's temperature of 300K. The work done on the piston is 500 - (1)(R)(300) ln2 = -913.185 Cal.
pingo

Homework Statement

500 Cal are added to a gas inside a cylinder with a piston (containing one mole) by an external heating device. The volume of the gas doubles without any change in it's temperature of 300K. How much work is done on the piston?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

W = -nRT ln(2Vi/Vi)

where ln is the natural logarithm

W = -nRT ln(2)
W = -(1)(1.987)(300) ln(2) = -413.2 Cal

R = 1.987 as the problem is in Calories not Joules.

As it's an isothermal expansion I thought this would be correct but the answer given in the textbook is as follows:

W = -500 - (1)(R)(300) ln2 = -500 - (1)(1.987)(300) ln2 = -913.185 Cal

If 500 Cal is added to the gas and the gas expands isothermally why are there 2 terms in the solution? Basically I don't understand why we need to include the -500 Cal here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like by the 1st law the answer should be 500 cal:

dU = δQ - δW
W = work done by piston = -work done on piston
But dU = 0 for isothermal process for ideal gas.

So U2 - U1 = Q - W = 0
W = Q = 500 cal. = work done by piston
So work done on piston = -500 cal.

You can't double the volume AND stipulate exactly 500 cal. heat flow into the cylinder in a reversible process for an ideal gas. In fact, the heat transferred would be 413 cal., not 500. So this is an irreversible process OR it's not an ideal gas, but if it isn't an ideal gas then the problem can't be solved.

The 1st law is correct for any kind of process since it's a statement of the conservation of energy. But an ideal gas is still assumed if we stipulate dU = 0 which I have done.

Anyway, both our answers are a lot closer to each other than the given answer.

Refutations welcome!

Maybe you are forgetting, that the energy added comes from an external source. The system then does work on its surroundings in order to keep the total internal energy constant. Thus you have to substract this external energy, which is the 500 cal.

hjelmgart said:
Maybe you are forgetting, that the energy added comes from an external source. The system then does work on its surroundings in order to keep the total internal energy constant. Thus you have to substract this external energy, which is the 500 cal.

I do not understand your reasoning.

Hi Pingo. Welcome to Physics Forums.

The way your book did the problem makes no sense whatsoever. In addition, your analysis and Rude Man's rationale make total sense, and are flawless. Congratulations for have the guts to say that "the emperor has no clothes."

Chet

rude man said:
I do not understand your reasoning.

The total work is the change in kinetic energy of the system. Here we have the heat transferred from outside, and we have the internal change in kinetic energy done by the gas on the piston.

The internal kinetic energy is not zero, as the volume expands.

Well, that is what they calculated in the actual "answer". Now when I read it one more time, I see they are actually asking for the work done on the piston, so you are of course correct, my bad. :-)

Related to Amount of work done in an isothermal expansion

What is an isothermal expansion?

An isothermal expansion is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands at a constant temperature, meaning there is no change in the internal energy of the gas.

How is the amount of work done calculated in an isothermal expansion?

The amount of work done in an isothermal expansion can be calculated using the equation W = nRT ln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, V2 is the final volume, and V1 is the initial volume.

What factors affect the amount of work done in an isothermal expansion?

The amount of work done in an isothermal expansion is affected by the temperature of the gas, the pressure of the gas, and the volume change of the gas.

How does an isothermal expansion differ from an adiabatic expansion?

An isothermal expansion occurs at a constant temperature, while an adiabatic expansion occurs without any heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that in an adiabatic expansion, the temperature of the gas may change, resulting in a different amount of work done compared to an isothermal expansion.

Why is the amount of work done in an isothermal expansion important?

The amount of work done in an isothermal expansion is important because it can help determine the efficiency of a thermodynamic process and can provide insights into the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is also a key factor in understanding and predicting the behavior of heat engines and other energy conversion processes.