American Student Doing Graduate School Abroad

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of pursuing a PhD abroad as an American student. The individual has a background in aeronautical engineering and a high GPA, but left graduate school due to financial issues. They are now considering applying to programs abroad due to the high cost of education and poor job market in the USA. The individual also expresses their desire to work in research and asks about the differences between engineering and physics graduate programs in terms of funding.
HuskyNamedNala
Does anyone have advice or tips for American students wishing to pursue a PhD abroad?

Background:
I graduated with my BS in 2012 in aeronautical engineering. My major GPA was a 3.7(5?) but my cumulative was a 3.44. I briefly attended graduate school from 2012 to 2013, but left due to funding issues and research opportunity. I am looking to apply to programs in the Fall of 2015. One reason why I am not considering American schools is because of the high cost of education and the state of the economy in the USA. I'm questing at this point whether or not leaving that PhD program I was in was a good idea. Yes, it would have been a dream come true, but having been in industry for a year I realize the job market is very poor and I may have ended up as a PhD with a thesis on turbulent flow stocking shelves in Wal-Mart! Even now I have about 60 grand in student loan debt I'm slowly paying off.

Still, the curiosity burns inside me. I need to get into a research career. Currently I am taking an online class in CFD.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pardon my ignorance, but is engineering graduate school unlike physics, where a majority of PhD students don't have to pay tuition and are given a stipend?

In the USA you are awarded an Ra, Ta, or Grant. This is contingent on the availability of funding. If something happens with the project, you're screwed.

I'd like an answer as well.

Related to American Student Doing Graduate School Abroad

What is graduate school?

Graduate school is a type of advanced education that students pursue after completing their undergraduate studies. It typically involves a more specialized and intensive course of study in a specific field, and often leads to a master's or doctoral degree.

Why would an American student choose to do graduate school abroad?

There are several reasons why an American student might choose to do graduate school abroad. Some may be drawn to a particular program or university that is not available in the United States, or they may want to experience a different culture and gain a global perspective. Additionally, studying abroad can also be more affordable in some cases.

How does the application process for graduate school abroad differ from domestic graduate programs?

The application process for graduate school abroad may vary depending on the country and university, but it typically involves submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores, and a personal statement. Some countries may also require a language proficiency test for non-native speakers. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program and plan ahead for any additional documents or exams that may be necessary.

What are the benefits of studying abroad in graduate school?

Studying abroad during graduate school can offer a variety of benefits. It can enhance one's academic and professional development by providing access to different perspectives and approaches in their field of study. It can also help students develop cross-cultural communication skills and expand their professional network. Additionally, living in a foreign country can be a valuable personal growth experience.

What are some challenges that American students may face while studying graduate school abroad?

There are some potential challenges that American students may face while studying graduate school abroad. These can include language barriers, adjusting to a new culture and way of life, and being away from family and friends. Additionally, there may be differences in academic expectations and teaching styles that students will need to adapt to. It is important for students to research and prepare for these challenges in advance to make the most of their experience abroad.