Algebraic coding theory- Golay Code

In summary, the extended Golay Code, C24, does not have any words of weight 20. This can be deduced from the fact that the code only has words of weight 0, 8, 12, 16, and 24. One possible explanation for this is that the code is a double self-dual code, meaning all weights must be divisible by 4. Additionally, the smallest distance for the code is 8, so the words must be separated by a distance of 8. It is also worth considering a possible symmetry between weight N and weight 24-N in the code.
hatsu27

Homework Statement

does anyone know why C24 (the extended Golay Code) doesn't have any words of weight 20? I know that it only has words of weight 0,8,12,16, & 24, but why is 20 skipped here?

Homework Equations

I am asked to deduce this from the fact after I have shown that the code does contain the word of all one's. I did this by showing how it is a linear combination of all 12 rows in the generator matrix [I,B] since each column has odd weight. But I am not sure how this is connected to the weights of all the words in C24.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I was thinking that since the only weight of words in G are either 8 or 12 then any linear combination of the words would be multiples of 8 or 12, but I don't really see why that would be and just me wishful thinking since I have been mulling this question over for 2 days and everywhere I think it out I run into walls. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not an area I know anything about, but I note that 4 is also skipped. Do you know why that is? Is there perhaps some symmetry between case N and case 24-N?

the smallest distance for the code is 8 so that is the smallest weight possible. That means that the words must be separated by a distance of 8. The Golay is also a double self-dual code so all weights must be divisible by 4

hatsu27 said:
the smallest distance for the code is 8 so that is the smallest weight possible. That means that the words must be separated by a distance of 8. The Golay is also a double self-dual code so all weights must be divisible by 4
Ok, so how about a possible symmetry? Would the existence of a weight N imply the existence of a weight 24-N?

Related to Algebraic coding theory- Golay Code

1. What is algebraic coding theory?

Algebraic coding theory is a branch of mathematics that studies error-correcting codes, which are used to transmit information reliably over noisy channels. It involves applying algebraic structures and techniques to design, analyze, and implement such codes.

2. What is the Golay Code?

The Golay Code is a type of binary linear error-correcting code, discovered by Marcel J. E. Golay in 1949. It is a special case of a larger class of codes known as perfect codes, which have the property of being able to correct any single error and detect any double error in a received message.

3. How is the Golay Code constructed?

The Golay Code is constructed using a special mathematical object called the Golay generator matrix, which has the property of producing a code with optimal error-correcting capabilities. The code is then further optimized and analyzed using algebraic coding theory techniques.

4. What are the applications of the Golay Code?

The Golay Code has been used in various applications, including satellite and space communications, digital storage systems, and error-correcting memory systems. It is also used in the design of reliable communication protocols and in cryptography.

5. How is the Golay Code related to other error-correcting codes?

The Golay Code is closely related to other important error-correcting codes, such as the Hamming code, Reed-Muller code, and binary Reed-Solomon code. These codes are all examples of perfect codes and share many properties and applications. Many of these codes have been further studied and improved using algebraic coding theory methods.