MDS/cyclic code, binary string question

In summary: I suppose. It's not very enlightening and I don't know how to use it to solve this problem.I haven't done any Galois Field stuff for about 4 years so I'm pretty rustyIn summary, the conversation discusses the code C consisting of all binary strings of length n in which the sum of the bits is even. It asks whether C is an MDS code and whether it is a cyclic code. It is shown that C is an MDS code with a minimum distance of 2, as any other even number would result in an odd number of bits. It is also shown that C is a cyclic code, as every codeword in C can be formed by cyclic shifts of the
nugget

Homework Statement

Suppose n[itex]\leq[/itex]2

Let C be the code consisting of all binary strings of length n in which the sum of the bits is even. Is C and MDS code? is C a cyclic code?

Homework Equations

An MDS code is one where the codewords are separated by a maximum number of bits d. MDS codes obey this theorem: There are q[itex]^{n-d+1}[/itex] different words of length n-(d-1) when the alphabet is of size q. I think this means that if we delete the first (d-1) letters of every codeword of length n, there will be q[itex]^{n-d+1}[/itex] different words of length n-(d-1).

In our case, q = 2 as we are working with binary strings.

e.g. if n = 2, C = {00,11}

n = 3 ---> C = {000,110,101,011}

n = 4 ---> C = {0000,1100,1001,0011,0110,1010,0101,1111}

etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

From observation, d = 2. How do I find this, not simply as an observation? I've checked that the formula fits for n from [2,5] and it seems to.

The codes I have written out appear to be cyclic. Cyclic codes are those where each element can be formed via cyclic shifting of another element.

any hints on how to solidify my argument?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nugget said:

Homework Statement

Suppose n[itex]\leq[/itex]2

Let C be the code consisting of all binary strings of length n in which the sum of the bits is even. Is C and MDS code? is C a cyclic code?

Homework Equations

An MDS code is one where the codewords are separated by a minimum number of bits d. MDS codes obey this theorem: There are q[itex]^{n-d+1}[/itex] different words of length n-(d-1) when the alphabet is of size q.

In our case, q = 2 as we are working with binary strings.

e.g. if n = 2,

C = {00,11}

n = 3 ---> C = {000,110,101,011}

n = 4 ---> C = {0000,1100,1001,0011,0110,1010,0101,1111}

etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

From observation, d = 2. Is there a way to state this, not simply as an observation? I'm at a loss here. I've checked that the formula fits for n from [2,5], and it seems to, but don't know how to generalise the argument.

So I figure it IS an MDS code, and it definitely also appears to be cyclic.

any hints on how to solidify my argument?

I had to think awhile about what you meant by "separated" by a minimum number of bits. After a bit, I realized that what separated means in this context is that any two code words in the code differ by two bits. If you think about it, the codewords couldn't be separated by or differ by only one bit (do you see why?). They also couldn't differ by, say, three bits, for the same reason. Maybe that will give you a place to start.

You gave a definition for MDS codes, but not one for cyclic codes. How are they defined?

It makes sense that because the sums of the bits must be even, then d cannot equal an odd number. So I suppose that is sound enough logic to say it is an MDS code, because then the minimum distance is always 2!

nice

Cyclic codes are those where each element can be formed via cyclic shifting (moving all the bits left or right) of another element. e.g. for n = 3, the codewords 110, 101,011 are all formed by cyclic shifts on the first one, 110.

I don't see why it wouldn't be a cyclic code... all my scribblings seem to suggest that it is

thanks for replying so quick!

nugget said:
It makes sense that because the sums of the bits must be even, then d cannot equal an odd number. So I suppose that is sound enough logic to say it is an MDS code, because then the minimum distance is always 2!
I think that for completeness, you need to say why another even number, say 4, couldn't be the minimum distance.
nugget said:
nice

Cyclic codes are those where each element can be formed via cyclic shifting (moving all the bits left or right) of another element. e.g. for n = 3, the codewords 110, 101,011 are all formed by cyclic shifts on the first one, 110.

I don't see why it wouldn't be a cyclic code... all my scribblings seem to suggest that it is

thanks for replying so quick!

Here's your code for n = 4:
C = {0000, 1100, 1001, 0011, 0110, 1010, 0101, 1111}

Here they are again, in groups:
{{0000}, {1100, 1001, 0110}, {1010, 0101}, {1111}}
In each group of more than one codeword, the first one listed can be used to generate the others in the group, by a cyclic shift, or rotation, of the bits.

Now, think about a code consisting of binary strings of length n, where again the sum of the bits is even. If n is even, each codeword will have to have an even number of 1s and an even number of 0s. If n is odd, each codeword will still have to have an even number of 1s, but there will be an odd number of 0s. Could there be a codeword that is not formed by shifting (rotating) the bit pattern for some other codeword? Doesn't seem like it to me, but I'm just throwing out some ideas.

I don't see how there could be a codeword in C that can't be formed under cyclic shifts.

I have a theorem in my notes regarding cyclic codes, and it is the only one given so I assume I need to use it:

C is Cyclic if and only if it is an ideal of GF(q)[x]/<x[itex]^{n}[/itex]-1>

so I need to show that every code polynomial can be generated by some <x[itex]^{n}[/itex]-1>, I think. Maybe I'm wrong about what that notation means... I thought we factorise <x[itex]^{n}[/itex]-1> and then all possible combinations of factors generate GF(q)[x].

There is a weird proof given in the notes where they ASSUME C is a cyclic code, and then show it is an ideal of the galois field generated by x[itex]^{n}[/itex]-1. They then go the other way and suppose that C is an ideal of that galois field. then they say it is cyclic as it is an ideal.

it's a pretty airy looking proof, can I use that?

if not I just don't get how to say for sure that it is cyclic... the only thing i can think of is that of course it's cyclic because C contains all possible codewords with an even number of 1s, so shifting those bits around will just yield other words with an even number of 1s, which are definitely in C.I'm assuming that this was a general proof and I can't use it for my question because I don't have a constant codeword length...

and now I'm trying to multiply polynomials from the galois field by polynomials from C, and still ending up in C.

perhaps their dodgy proof is the right way?

Related to MDS/cyclic code, binary string question

1. What is MDS/cyclic code?

MDS (Maximum Distance Separable) code is a type of error-correcting code that is used to detect and correct errors in data transmission. Cyclic code is a type of linear block code that has the property of being cyclically shifted, making it more efficient for error correction.

2. How does MDS/cyclic code work?

MDS/cyclic code works by adding redundant bits to the original data, which is done through mathematical calculations. These redundant bits allow for the detection and correction of errors in the transmitted data.

3. What is the importance of MDS/cyclic code?

MDS/cyclic code is important because it ensures the accuracy and integrity of data transmission. It is commonly used in communication systems, such as satellite communication and digital data storage, to prevent errors from occurring during transmission.

4. What is a binary string?

A binary string is a sequence of 0s and 1s, also known as bits, that represent data in the binary number system. It is commonly used in computer science and digital communication to represent and transmit information.

5. How are MDS/cyclic codes and binary strings related?

MDS/cyclic codes are used to encode binary strings, adding redundant bits to the original data to ensure its accuracy during transmission. Without MDS/cyclic codes, binary strings would be more prone to errors, making data transmission less reliable.