Algebra equivalent to Euclid’s Elements?

In summary, Keith Devlin suggests that Al Kwarizmi wrote one of the earliest books on Algebra, and that it is of historical value.
mathwhizpro
I want to get a copy of historical Algebra literature that essentially the equivalent of Euclid’s Elements for Algebra. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes vanhees71
mathwhizpro said:
I want to get a copy of historical Algebra literature that essentially the equivalent of Euclid’s Elements for Algebra.

What do you mean by "equivalent"? Are you looking for a textbook of algebra that follows the same step-by-step intuitive style of presenting algebra as Euclid used in his Elements to present geometry and number theory? I don't think such a textbook exists for abstract alglebra. Algebra is a different ball game than plane geometry.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I like the Euler suggestion. One issue with the search for a book analogous with Euclid is that, though Euclid imposed the logical structure, many of the results were well-known from earlier mathematicians.

Though Arab scholars did systematize algebra a bit, Al Kwarizmi's book (according to Katz – I have not seen the text) is more of a practical manual rather than a theoretical treatise as the Elements is. Further, I believe all of the justification for the algebraic relations were still proven using geometry.

You could look at works of Francois Viete who made steps toward more abstract symbolism. Descartes also moved things forward with the introduction of analytic geometry. Beyond this and we're probably up to Euler. But, in a sense, if you want something that is analogous to Euclid for algebra it is probably best to find a modern algebra text because all of these earlier works are akin to geometrical works that came before Euclid (attempted) to rigorously systematize it. It's just that none of them (to my knowledge) survived, probably, at least in part, due to the success of the Elements. Reading Al Kwarizimi or Viete would be like reading Thales or Theaetetus instead of Euclid.

Related to Algebra equivalent to Euclid’s Elements?

1. What is Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements?

Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements is a mathematical treatise that presents the principles and concepts of algebra in a similar format to Euclid's Elements, which is a famous work on geometry.

2. Who is credited with creating Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements?

Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements is credited to the mathematician and philosopher, Isaac Newton.

3. How does Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements differ from traditional algebra?

Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements differs from traditional algebra in its presentation and structure. It follows a geometric approach, using diagrams and postulates, rather than relying on abstract symbols and equations.

4. What are the main principles and concepts covered in Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements?

The main principles and concepts covered in Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements include basic arithmetic operations, the concept of proportionality, and solving linear and quadratic equations.

5. Is Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements still relevant in modern mathematics?

While the geometric approach of Algebra equivalent to Euclid's Elements may not be commonly used in modern mathematics, the principles and concepts presented in the treatise are still relevant and foundational in the study of algebra.