Is Euclid suitable as a first exposure to Geometry?

• Geometry
  • Thread starter hackedagainanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the person is currently studying Algebra and has collected several textbooks on geometry. They mention that Euclid's Elements is closer to pure geometry and involves coordinates and algebra knowledge. They also mention that the book is a bit stilted but they want to give it a chance. They ask for advice on whether to start with Euclid or a more modern text. The other person responds saying that Euclid is not too bad for fun but won't be very useful in their future math career as modern math no longer relies on elementary geometry.
hackedagainanda
I'm currently studying Algebra and have collected Euclid's Elements, Lang's Geometry, Gelfand's Trigonometry, and Rhoad and et al's Geometry for Enjoyment and challenge. A quick perusal of the books seem to involve coordinates and algebra knowledge. From what I've heard Euclid is closer to Pure geometry or at least before the advent of Algebra based geometry.

The Element's seem a little stilted in the prose of the book but I want to give it a chance.

So, in your opinion could I start with Euclid then proceed to more modern texts, or would I be better off starting with a modern text?

Physics news on Phys.org
For fun, Euclid's not too bad. It won't teach you very much that will be useful in your further math career - in fact, maybe the biggest development of math in the last 500 years was not using elementary geometry to express anything anymore.

Likes hackedagainanda

Related to Is Euclid suitable as a first exposure to Geometry?

1. What is Euclid's contribution to Geometry?

Euclid is known as the father of Geometry and his book "Elements" is considered one of the most influential works in mathematics. He introduced the concept of axioms and postulates, which are the basis of modern geometry.

2. Is Euclid's approach to Geometry suitable for beginners?

Yes, Euclid's approach to Geometry is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic concepts and builds upon them systematically. It is a great way to develop logical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How does Euclid's Geometry differ from other approaches?

Euclid's Geometry is based on axioms and postulates, while other approaches may use different starting points or assumptions. Euclid's approach is also more deductive, starting with general statements and using logical reasoning to reach specific conclusions.

4. Can Euclid's Geometry be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, Euclid's Geometry has many practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It is used to solve problems involving shapes, measurements, and spatial relationships.

5. Is it necessary to study Euclid's Geometry before learning other branches of mathematics?

No, Euclid's Geometry is not a prerequisite for learning other branches of mathematics. However, it provides a strong foundation and understanding of geometric principles, which can be applied in other areas of mathematics.