Airflow through a radiator with a restriction

In summary, the airflow through a car radiator with a fan mounting plate will likely decrease due to the restriction on the airflow.
blackman
Hello, I have a question about airflow through a car radiator which has a plate on the discharge side with holes cut for fans. There are fans mounted on there but they aren't being used. And the car is moving.

Would the airflow increase or decrease with the plate on there?

We are having a discussion about this and I am fairly sure that it would decrease as it is a restriction on the airflow.

Others have been saying it would increase as there is a slight vacuum created on the discharge side creating more flow.

None of us have any real physics teaching, just your average high school stuff. Sorry if it is a silly question.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also I haven't read through the forum rules here, I hope I haven't broken any, please let me know if I have. Thanks again.

Engineering news on Phys.org
first of all..WELCOME..you took a major step up the ladder by signing on to this site and I see no violations of any rules...this forum, on my opinion is for those who want to learn about how things work.

I am no professor or doctor but been racing since 1964. Radiators are sized to the maximum engine cooling requirements> The reason electric fans are hung on the things are to dissipate heat in traffic while idling along. Many times they are not in use at high way speeds as the air flow will provide enough flow to cool the cores. the mounting plates will restrict the flow but not enough to impact the cooling, if the fans are engaged when needed. There will be a slight vacuum created in any radiator installation. This is because a concept called Bernoulli's principle. You can google it but basically you have high speed low pressure air entering the radiator cavity. the pressure must equal the same as the low pressure high speed air under the car. So you have a slight vacuum.

For any heat exchanger ( radiator) the rate of heat dissipation varies directly with the mean ( average) temperature difference between the cooling surface and the air stream. ( technically it is the .6 power of the airstream velocity and the .8 power of the air volume through the core). Both thermal efficiency and internal drag are reduced by slowing down the air velocity in the core. This means we need high energy (laminar and high velocity) air coming into the cavity and that we want to slow the air down before it enters the core. In order to provide an extractor effect and to ensure that the exiting air is traveling at or near free stream velocity when it rejoins the freestream, we also want to accelerate the air after it has passed through the cooler and before it rejoins the freestream. To achieve all this we need a properly deigned air DUCT. A lot of wind tunnel time and expense is used to achieve this with minimum drag and to achieved maximum cooling.

1. How does a restriction affect the airflow through a radiator?

A restriction in a radiator can significantly decrease the amount of airflow passing through it. This is because the restriction creates a bottleneck, limiting the space for air to flow. As a result, the air velocity and volume passing through the radiator are reduced, leading to decreased cooling efficiency.

2. What types of restrictions can affect the airflow through a radiator?

There are various types of restrictions that can impact the airflow through a radiator. These include physical obstructions, such as a clogged or dirty radiator, as well as design restrictions, such as a smaller radiator size or the placement of fins that impede airflow.

3. How does a restriction affect the cooling performance of a radiator?

A restriction in a radiator can significantly decrease its cooling performance. This is because a restriction limits the amount of air passing through, reducing the heat transfer from the radiator to the surrounding air. As a result, the engine or other components relying on the radiator for cooling may experience overheating.

4. Can a restriction in a radiator be fixed?

In some cases, a restriction in a radiator can be fixed by removing any physical obstructions, such as debris or dirt, or by replacing the radiator with a larger or more efficient one. However, if the restriction is a design limitation, it may be difficult to improve the airflow through the radiator.

5. Are there any benefits to having a restriction in a radiator?

In some cases, a restriction in a radiator can help to regulate the temperature of the cooling system. This is because the restriction creates resistance to the airflow, which can help to slow down the cooling process and prevent the engine from getting too cold. However, this effect is minimal and should not be relied upon for proper engine cooling.