Age Shouldn't Matter: Can I Still Get a Job at 65?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced by a 65-year-old individual in finding employment due to concerns about their age and potential long-term commitment. Despite having a wealth of skills and experience, the individual has been rejected from job interviews and is questioning if they are too old to work. The conversation also presents the idea that retirement may not be the best option for elderly individuals and suggests exploring contract positions or volunteer work as alternatives.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have been to several job interviews nearly all of them have rejected me because i am 65, i have told them that i have at least another 5 years left in me but that does not wash.
I have plenty of skills, electrical, pnumatics, mechanics but even with thees skills i can not get a job, do you think i am to old?

Physics news on Phys.org
The concern that a potential employer may have is that employers may want to invest in an employee over the long term, and given that you are 65, there is a question of just how long will you continue to be able to work for said employer (whether due to health reasons or whether you may wish to retire immediately). There are also concerns about whether, as a 65 year old, you may be deemed "too expensive" because you may have expectations of higher wage, benefits, etc., compared to a younger worker. Some people may also deem that a younger employer may have more up-to-date skills.

All of that being said, you do bring a wealth of experience to employers, so in that respect, there are benefits to hiring you over a less experienced younger candidate. If you could make that case convincingly, and be willing to learn new skills and work harder to learn such new skills (and demonstrate such willingness), you may have a chance at finding employment. But it is a hurdle.

Take a look at the following article (it is directed toward a Canadian audience, but should be applicable for those in other countries):

http://www.monster.ca/career-advice/article/tips-for-mature-job-seekers-canada

Likes Irene Kaminkowa
wolram said:
I have been to several job interviews nearly all of them have rejected me because i am 65, i have told them that i have at least another 5 years left in me but that does not wash.
I have plenty of skills, electrical, pnumatics, mechanics but even with thees skills i can not get a job, do you think i am to old?
Are you serious and not living on pension or the likes ? I have a heartache reading failed attempts to seek a job at the age of 65.
At least at that age I think I won't work myself anymore but will plan to travel, grow trees, do the farming work.

Pepper Mint said:
Are you serious and not living on pension or the likes ? I have a heartache reading failed attempts to seek a job at the age of 65.
At least at that age I think I won't work myself anymore but will plan to travel, grow trees, do the farming work.

You are sweet Pepper Mint, but i have so much time on my hands and am fed doing nothing, i would much rather work and see people.

No, you are not too old to be working! I believe that people often actually retire too early and that it can be detrimental to a persons mental and physical health if the person has retired to more sedentary lifestyle. What a person retires to is what really matters. Unfortunately, retirement often means that a person is less physically active and many end up being socially isolated. It is very important for elderly to be around encouraging and supportive people.

It is not unheard of for elderly in my area to continue working after 65. But, what happens is that they end up taking a less physically and mentally demanding job that was very different from the kinds they had with their career. There is a older man that works at one of the grocery stores that I frequent that mostly works to keep himself physically active, 'get away from his wife', and socialize with people. He loves to talk and is a touchy-flirt (you can get away with that now). He is so sweet that he has often given my little girl a one dollar bill for her piggy bank since she was born near five years ago! It is very important that you get out of the house at your age! You could also look into doing volunteer work! What are some of your hobbies?

Likes Evo and wolram
Fervent Freyja said:
No, you are not too old to be working! I believe that people often actually retire too early and that it can be detrimental to a persons mental and physical health if the person has retired to more sedentary lifestyle. What a person retires to is what really matters. Unfortunately, retirement often means that a person is less physically active and many end up being socially isolated. It is very important for elderly to be around encouraging and supportive people.

It is not unheard of for elderly in my area to continue working after 65. But, what happens is that they end up taking a less physically and mentally demanding job that was very different from the kinds they had with their career. There is a older man that works at one of the grocery stores that I frequent that mostly works to keep himself physically active, 'get away from his wife', and socialize with people. He loves to talk and is a touchy-flirt (you can get away with that now). He is so sweet that he has often given my little girl a one dollar bill for her piggy bank since she was born near five years ago! It is very important that you get out of the house at your age! You could also look into doing volunteer work! What are some of your hobbies?

Hi Freyia, i all ready work two days a week volunteering, and i do not think of myself as elderly:biggrin: i think i need much more in my life to stimulate my mind and work my body, i have worked in engineering all my life so that is all i really want to do.

How tied down to your home are you? Can you leave for a few weeks or months? Look into contract positions. No benefits but higher rates. The clients need talent; they don't want to commit to employees ( medical, 401k, etc) but they have specific tasks that need to be done. They don't care how old you are.

wolram said:

Wolram, you have a lot to offer and give, and, your age is not a problem at all. Believe it or not, this is not your problem. The real problems are people who rejected you, because they do not realize what you have. Do not worry, you will find the appropriate environment to come back to work soon... for instance, I work in the medical devices industry, and, one of the guys of the team, the welder, is 67 years old. He makes me remember my father, because both are immigrant from Italy, hard workers and they can guide and teach how to do things to the younger members. In addition to this, his welding technique is excellent... as a conclusion, it is not true that we have to retire at 65 years old... be patient and good luck.

Likes wolram
wolram said:
Hi Freyia, i all ready work two days a week volunteering, and i do not think of myself as elderly:biggrin:.

I didn't mean anything by that! You know, some women prefer older men, they still act like little boys (which is refreshing). Males get so much nicer as they age!

You should be traveling and still having lots of fun too at your age!

Likes wolram
Good on you on applying for jobs! What kind of work are you after?

StevieTNZ said:
Good on you on applying for jobs! What kind of work are you after?

I used to work in the packaging industry designing and building machines, i traveled quite a bit in Europe for several companies.

Related to Age Shouldn't Matter: Can I Still Get a Job at 65?

1. Can I still get a job at 65?

Yes, it is possible to still get a job at 65. Many employers value the experience and skills that come with age and actively seek out older workers.

2. Are there any limitations or restrictions for older workers in the job market?

There are no legal limitations or restrictions for older workers in the job market. However, some employers may have age biases or concerns about physical abilities that could impact job performance.

3. How can I overcome age discrimination in the job search process?

To overcome age discrimination, focus on highlighting your skills, experience, and accomplishments on your resume and during interviews. Networking and staying up-to-date with industry trends and technology can also help showcase your value as an older worker.

4. Are there any industries or job sectors that are more open to hiring older workers?

Certain industries, such as healthcare, education, and government, tend to have a higher demand for experienced workers and are more open to hiring older individuals. However, it ultimately depends on the individual employer and their specific hiring needs.

5. What are the benefits of hiring older workers for employers?

Older workers bring a wealth of experience, knowledge, and stability to the workplace. They also tend to have strong work ethics and are less likely to job hop, which can save employers time and resources in the long run.