Age/Location Correlates to Political Inclination?

• News
  • Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion about the correlation between geographic location and political leaning among US members on a forum. It is observed that there is a stronger correlation between age and political inclination. Some members share their age, location, and political affiliation, which fall on a spectrum from liberal to conservative. The issues discussed include abortion, gay marriage, healthcare, gun control, and foreign policy. Some members also mention their evolution from a liberal to a conservative perspective. Overall, the discussion focuses on individual beliefs and how they align with different political parties.
Moonbear said:
In high school, I did earn the label ultra-moderate because I could never choose a side (in politics, I very often think both sides are wrong).

I can identify with this blurring of traditional left & right, it might be a generation X thing.

Two options is said by some to be a definition of a dilemma, and its only when you have a third choice that you have real choice in the usual sense of the word. In the UK, the two main parties of the left and right have merged in their views - the Conservatives even openly accusing Labour of stealing their policies - so much that its hard to distinguish between them. Come election time if you want to vote for the next largest party - the Liberal Democrats - you know there is no real chance that they will get in as they are usually so far behind the other two in the opinion poles come election time. So you end up voting for the party you dislike least out of the main two. Proportional representation would solve this problem, to an extent. But of course who is in favour of PR? Only the small party who has no chance of election in a 'first past the post' system.

No wonder so many people lose faith in the voting system. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
the number 42 said:
I can identify with this blurring of traditional left & right, it might be a generation X thing.

I'm a bit older than Gen X-ers.

Middle-of-the-road Democrat with zero party loyalty, down over here in the Southwest corner of the country. Got about 200 gray hairs.

Hey, does anybody remember the Duane Schneider character on that sitcom about 25 years ago? That's me! :biggrin:

Last edited: