Advice for amateur (Matter/Space)

• Thread starter Zinfandel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amateur
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space and its relation to matter. It considers the possibility of a closed universe, where matter and space are treated as separate entities. Gravity is also mentioned as a force that affects the movement of objects in the universe. The conversation ends with a note that space-time is defined by the matter that occupies it in General Relativity.
Zinfandel
I'm not a physicist or cosmologist, I'm not even a particularly good amateur one either, but it doesn't stop me thinking about it!

Now I've always read that in the beginning there was nothing outside of space. IE What happens if you get to the end of space? Nothing because the only space that exists is the space that is created as it expands OR space is a dimension we're not able to comprehend and you'd come back to where you started.

So, gravity exerts a force on every other object in the universe, the research at the Planck Institute suggests that each galaxy is revolving around a black hole being sucked in, planets are being pulled towards their stars...

If we consider the posibility of a closed universe, then could you not treat matter and space as separate entities (in terms of an inflation theory at least)? So the space is always there, always has been and always will be. But the mass within that space will be attracted to each other until such a point as all matter is consumed within a singularity at which point the inflation begins again.

Not creating space as it goes, simply moving into the space that already existed.

Sorry, I know this is pretty basic stuff, I'm just curious as to opinions .

Thanks

Zinf

Space news on Phys.org
In General Relativity, space-time is only defined by the matter that occupies it.

Chalnoth said:
In General Relativity, space-time is only defined by the matter that occupies it.

Fantastic answer, thank you very much! :).

Related to Advice for amateur (Matter/Space)

1. What is the difference between matter and space?

Matter refers to the physical substances that make up the universe, such as atoms and molecules. Space, on the other hand, refers to the vast expanse that exists between matter and is often described as the distance between objects or the area in which objects exist.

2. How can an amateur study matter and space?

An amateur can study matter and space through various methods such as reading books and articles, attending lectures and workshops, conducting experiments, and using online resources. It is also helpful to join a local science club or group to interact with other enthusiasts and learn from experienced scientists.

3. What are some interesting facts about matter and space?

There are many interesting facts about matter and space, some of which include the fact that space is constantly expanding, matter can exist in different states (solid, liquid, gas), and the majority of the universe is made up of dark matter and dark energy, which are still largely a mystery to scientists.

4. How does matter and space affect our daily lives?

Matter and space have a significant impact on our daily lives. Matter makes up everything around us, from the food we eat to the clothes we wear. Space, on the other hand, affects our daily lives in more subtle ways, such as through the Earth's rotation and orbit around the sun, which determines our day and night cycles and seasons.

5. What are some current research topics in matter and space?

There are many ongoing research topics in matter and space, including the search for dark matter and dark energy, understanding the origins of the universe, studying the properties of different types of matter, and exploring the possibility of other dimensions beyond our three-dimensional world.