Advice for a Non-Traditional Physics Student

In summary, this Junior is a non-traditional student at a small private college in North Carolina majoring in Physics. He's planning on getting his Master's degree from NC State, and he's looking for advice on staying motivated, understanding the material, and balancing work, school, and a social life. He urges others to check with the NC engineering department to make sure they are on the right track for their program, to establish contacts, and to have a study schedule. He also recommends getting regular exercise and sleeping enough.
WillofMalazan
I am currently a Junior at a small, private college in North Carolina. I am going to my school because it is 25 minutes from my house, so I can commute rather easily. I am majoring in Physics, since the school doesn't offer degrees in Engineering. However, I do plan on getting my Master's in Engineering from NC State. I am also a non-traditional student (I am 27), which brings its own set of challenges. The reason I'm writing this thread is to get other people's advice about what I'm doing. I want this more than anything, but it seems like I have to fight twice as hard to understand the material, and trying to balance work, school, and a social life are challenging. If you guys have any advice or tips about staying motivated, understanding the material, or just general advice, I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I urge you to check with the NC engineering department to ask them what classes you should take to be well prepared for your Master's program. Do this now, to establish contacts and to make sure you are on the right track.

On your other points, I'm afraid I don't have specific advice. Balancing everything is hard for everyone and it may even be easier for older students, I think! I, too, was a non-traditional student. What helped me was keeping a study schedule - a routine. Also, if it takes you longer to "get" the material, don't take too many credits.

The biggest mistake I made in school was I robbed my sleep time in order to study. This is a horrible idea! You need sleep in order to learn.

And get regular exercise, too! Best of luck to you!

Btw, what engineering do you plan on studying?

I was thinking of mechanical, but I'm leaning toward civil at this point.

Thanks for the advice.

Be mindful when going into something like civil engineering (especially something like structural). Often these jobs are led by people with professional engineering (PE) licenses, and some states only allow people with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering to take the licensing exam. It's best to check up on those kinds of things.

Many other states let people with related degrees (sciences, etc.) plus work experience take the exam. Just thought I'd point this out.

I hadn't thought about the PE license. Thanks.

Related to Advice for a Non-Traditional Physics Student

1. What is a non-traditional physics student?

A non-traditional physics student is someone who does not fit the typical mold of a physics student. This could include individuals who are older, have taken a break from education, are pursuing physics as a second career, or have a different academic background.

2. Is it possible to succeed in physics as a non-traditional student?

Yes, absolutely! Physics is a field that values critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and a passion for learning. These qualities can be found in people of all ages and backgrounds. With dedication and hard work, non-traditional students can excel in physics.

3. What challenges do non-traditional physics students face?

Non-traditional physics students may face challenges such as balancing family or work responsibilities with their studies, feeling intimidated by younger or more experienced students, or needing to catch up on pre-requisite courses. However, these challenges can be overcome with support and determination.

4. How can non-traditional physics students prepare for success?

Non-traditional physics students can prepare for success by setting realistic goals, seeking out mentorship and support from professors or peers, and actively engaging in their coursework. It may also be helpful to brush up on math and other foundational concepts before starting a physics program.

5. Are there any resources specifically for non-traditional physics students?

Yes, there are many resources available for non-traditional physics students. Some universities have support programs or clubs specifically for non-traditional students. Online communities and forums can also provide valuable support and advice. It is important for non-traditional students to seek out these resources and connect with others who may be in similar situations.