Advanced High Schol project Suggestions

In summary, the speaker is planning to do a mathematics project in 1 year that will be related to physics. They have already covered common topics such as harmonic motion and dampened harmonic motion with the general solutions to differential equations in previous assignments. They are now looking for something new and are considering real analysis, but find it difficult. They are open to suggestions, and someone suggests looking into Fourier Analysis which has applications in physics and can be learned in a year. The speaker is unsure if they will be able to understand the math for general relativity in 1 year. They ask if the expert is familiar with computer programming or symbolic calculations.
hsmathfreaker
Hey. I will be in approx. 1 year from now do a big mathematics project, that is going to be coupled with physics. I have already covered all the obvious choices for this project, such as harmonic motion and dampened harmonic motion with the derivation of the general solutions to the differential equations, in previous assignments. I have also already made my own intepretation of simple air resistance, with the restrictive force being proportionate to the speed and the square of the speed, with the solutions of the generel cases.

So i have pretty much already covered the classics, since i think differential equations are a very interesting subject. Now i need something new - I am mostly looking for an interesting mathematical subject, but i wouldn't mind if it has a good relevance to physics. Aswell

Im thinking i'd like to do something in real analysis, but i find the subject very difficult atm. I do have 1 year to do it though, so i don't know. I'm 17 now btw, and 1.5 year into HS.

Any suggestions ? :P I think it would be awesome to do generel relativity lol, but I'm not sure i ever will be able to understand the math, and certainly not in 1 year from now :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to look into an analysis type topic that relates to physics, you could look at doing something on Fourier Analysis. It has a lot of applications to physics, and in a year you should be able to learn enough to do something interesting with it.

I have already covered all the obvious choices for this project, such as harmonic motion and dampened harmonic motion with the derivation of the general solutions to the differential equations, in previous assignments

In what sense did you cover them? Do yo do computer programming? - what computer languages? Or do you specialize in symbolic calculations done by hand?

Related to Advanced High Schol project Suggestions

What is an Advanced High School Project?

An Advanced High School Project is a research-based project that allows high school students to explore a topic of their interest in-depth and develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and presentation skills.

How do I come up with a suitable topic for my Advanced High School Project?

To find a suitable topic for your Advanced High School Project, you can start by brainstorming ideas based on your interests, hobbies, or future career goals. You can also consult with your teachers, parents, or mentors for suggestions and guidance.

Can I collaborate with other students on my Advanced High School Project?

Yes, you can collaborate with other students on your Advanced High School Project. Collaboration can help you divide the workload, share ideas, and learn from each other's strengths and weaknesses. However, make sure to give credit to all the members of your team for their contributions.

What are some tips for successful completion of an Advanced High School Project?

To successfully complete an Advanced High School Project, you can follow these tips:

• Choose a topic that interests you.
  • Plan and organize your project timeline and tasks.
  • Conduct thorough research using credible sources.
  • Document your progress and results regularly.
  • Seek guidance and feedback from your teachers or mentors.
  • Create a visually appealing and informative presentation.
  • Practice your presentation before the final presentation day.

Can I use advanced technology or equipment for my Advanced High School Project?

Yes, you can use advanced technology or equipment for your Advanced High School Project, but make sure to follow safety guidelines and get permission from your school or teacher before using them. You can also consider reaching out to local universities or research institutions for access to advanced equipment or technology.