Adiabatic process in carnot cycle

In summary, the problem is asking how much heat is exchanged in a carnot cycle between two points at two different temperatures. The problem also asks how much work is done in the cycle.
schvetz
Hey. I'm supposed to calculate the work done in an adiabatic process, B-C, and I only know the values of the temperatures and the volume in the first point (point B). It is not known if it is a mono or diatomic gas, therefore i don't know the value of gamma. I've tried T*V^(gamma-1)=K and the only conclusion I got is that Vc=5Vd... From A to B is isotermic and C to D as well, and I know the volume in A and B (1 liter and 5 liters respectively).
Sorry for the bad english.

Schvetz

Physics news on Phys.org
schvetz said:
Hey. I'm supposed to calculate the work done in an adiabatic process, B-C, and I only know the values of the temperatures and the volume in the first point (point B). It is not known if it is a mono or diatomic gas, therefore i don't know the value of gamma. I've tried T*V^(gamma-1)=K and the only conclusion I got is that Vc=5Vd... From A to B is isotermic and C to D as well, and I know the volume in A and B (1 liter and 5 liters respectively).
Sorry for the bad english.

Schvetz
Give us the entire problem. Does it refer to the gas as "air"? If so, what is the gamma of air?

AM

Ok, I'll try to translate the problem.
One mole of a gas describes a carnot cycle between the temperatures of 20ºC and 120ºC. ON the superior isothermic transformation, the initial volume is 1 liter and the final volume is 5 liters. Calculate the amount of heat exchanged between the cold source and the hot source and the work done in a cycle.
I hope you understand my translation.

Since this is the homework forum we would also like to see your attempt. We are not here to do your work for you or give you the answer.

schvetz said:
Ok, I'll try to translate the problem.
One mole of a gas describes a carnot cycle between the temperatures of 20ºC and 120ºC. ON the superior isothermic transformation, the initial volume is 1 liter and the final volume is 5 liters. Calculate the amount of heat exchanged between the cold source and the hot source and the work done in a cycle.
I hope you understand my translation.
Since it is a Carnot cycle, what can you say about the efficiency of this engine? What does it depend on? Can you work out Qh and Qc? Is there any heat exchanged between the hot and cold reservoirs during the two adiabatic parts of the process? You should be able to find the answer if you answer those questions.

AM

Related to Adiabatic process in carnot cycle

1. What is an adiabatic process in a Carnot cycle?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat between the system and its surroundings. In a Carnot cycle, this means that the system undergoes compression and expansion without any heat entering or leaving the system.

2. How does an adiabatic process affect the efficiency of a Carnot cycle?

An adiabatic process is one of the key components of a Carnot cycle, as it allows for the maximum efficiency to be achieved. This is because the absence of heat transfer minimizes energy loss, resulting in a more efficient cycle.

3. What is the difference between an adiabatic process and an isothermal process in a Carnot cycle?

In an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer, while in an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant. This means that in an adiabatic process, there may be changes in temperature and pressure, while in an isothermal process, the temperature remains the same throughout.

4. How is an adiabatic process achieved in a Carnot cycle?

In order to achieve an adiabatic process in a Carnot cycle, the system must be well-insulated to prevent any heat from entering or leaving. Additionally, the process must be carried out quickly enough to minimize any heat transfer that may occur.

5. What are the applications of an adiabatic process in a Carnot cycle?

Adiabatic processes are used in various industrial applications, such as in gas turbines, refrigerators, and heat engines. In a Carnot cycle, the adiabatic process allows for the maximum efficiency to be achieved, making it a crucial component in these applications.