Accept ideas that are not in the form of specific questions

• Thread starter Grossglockner
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker suggests that the forum should allow colleagues to post ideas that are not in the form of specific questions, and that these ideas should not be censored. They believe this could lead to valuable discussions and learning opportunities. However, there are concerns about determining who qualifies as a colleague and how to prevent crackpottery and chaos from arising. The speaker also mentions that previous attempts at similar discussions have not been successful.
Grossglockner
Summary: I would like to see the forum also accept ideas from colleagues that are not in the form of specific questions. Other members could criticize and discuss these ideas.

I would like to see the forum accept ideas from colleagues that are not in the form of specific questions. Colleagues should be able to post ideas that are not ready for publication for other colleagues to criticize and make suggestion. Groups of participants might cluster around an idea of interest at a time. Also, don't censor ideas. If the ideas are too unscientific the discussion will die by itself. There are many phenomena out there that have no scientific explanations. There is plenty of room for new theories and ideas.

Currently there are way too many scientific models enshrined like religious laws by editors and scientific establishment management.

I think this forum could do both, have colleagues answer questions and discuss ideas. People, including me, would learn a lot from other people's ideas.

Philipp Kornreich

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Philipp!

I am one of a few who like this idea and think of it as some dinner talk as it happens e.g. on conferences. And we have had discussed it a couple of times. Unfortunately there are some obstacles which we couldn't solve:
  • colleague:
    What makes a member a colleague and even more important: How can we know? You basically ask for a protected area on an otherwise public forum, or at least restricted access. This is not only unfair, it is also not a sufficient criterion. A young Tao could have more right to be considered colleague than a late Atiyah suggesting he had proven the RH.
  • crackpottery:
    This is the most critical point: Where has the line to be drawn between a tri-sectionist or circle-squarer and a valid scientific discussion. Maybe I should have taken the RH as example because we frequently get posts which claim a solution. What sounds crazy to one might not be crazy to others, but who is to judge?
  • check:
    One of our main qualities is error correction. Members can rely on expertise and the fact that mistakes are corrected quickly. However, we cannot check and validate statements in such a discussion you proposed. As a consequence members couldn't rely anymore to the same extent on what is said on PF.
  • chaos:
    I have been told that we had something similar at times when I wasn't a member and it turned out to be a nightmare. I have no reason to doubt this, even if I didn't experience it. But I can imagine - have a look at the Foundations of Quantum Physics forum!
As mentioned we had debated this from time to time before, so there is no need to repeat such a discussion publically. PF is simply not meant to discuss personal theories.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu, gmax137, weirdoguy and 5 others

1. What does it mean to accept ideas that are not in the form of specific questions?

Accepting ideas that are not in the form of specific questions means being open to new ideas and concepts that may not be presented in a question format. It involves being receptive to different perspectives and ways of thinking.

2. Why is it important to accept ideas that are not in the form of specific questions?

Accepting ideas that are not in the form of specific questions can lead to innovation and creativity. It allows for the exploration of new ideas and can lead to breakthroughs in scientific research.

3. How can scientists incorporate ideas that are not in the form of specific questions into their work?

Scientists can actively seek out new ideas and perspectives by attending conferences, reading research from different fields, and collaborating with individuals from diverse backgrounds. They can also encourage their team members to share ideas and thoughts, even if they are not in the form of specific questions.

4. Are there any risks associated with accepting ideas that are not in the form of specific questions?

While there is always a risk associated with exploring new ideas, accepting ideas that are not in the form of specific questions can lead to new discoveries and advancements in science. It is important for scientists to critically evaluate these ideas and conduct thorough research before incorporating them into their work.

5. Can accepting ideas that are not in the form of specific questions improve scientific communication?

Yes, accepting ideas that are not in the form of specific questions can improve scientific communication by promoting a more open and collaborative environment. It allows for the exchange of diverse ideas and can lead to a deeper understanding of complex scientific concepts.