Academic title in your e-mail signature

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academic
In summary: I'm not sure what it has to do with my work, I just feel like it's a little bit pointless.The academic title or certification is not really relevant where you work.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do you list an academic title (like PhD) or certification (PMP) in your email signature? I see some of both where I work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Do you list an academic title (like PhD) or certification (PMP) in your email signature? I see some of both where I work.
I don't, but many folks, particularly PhDs and PEs do.

I put my job title in my email signature.
My academic title is not really relevant so I leave it out.

Is the academic title or certification relevant where you work?

We're required to put our job title on our sigs at work. Sometimes, if I know the person I'm writing, I replace my title with "Laboratory Dogsbody" :biggrin:.

I don't and never would 'just because'. I find it's off-putting and pretentious. (when optional)

If I were chatting with someone on the street and he or she out-of-nowhere said "I have a PhD", and it wasn't something I needed to know or care about, I would think they are kind of rude. I don't see how putting it in a signature unnecessarily is any different.

I don't usually, but I have been known to follow my initials with "range/lab rat" depending if I am on the test range or in the lab working. Most people I work with know that if I say that, I am out of town and don't try to get a hold of me any further.

My employer has a policy of NOT including academic/professional titles on any internal emails or reports. Job titles are a different matter - the logic being that your job title reflects what the company is paying you to do, not what pieces of paper you collected by jumping through hoops.

That doesn't necessarily apply to communications outside the company, if there is a justifiable reason for including them (e.g. published papers, conference presentations, etc) - but self-aggrandisement doesn't count as a justification.

But even with that policy, there are huge differences between different cultures. Our German colleagues don't think they "know" anybody until they have seen an organization chart with at least 100 boxes on it showing how they fit into the "big picture". And if you get confused and permute the order of Herr Dr. Ing. Eur. (or should that be Herr Ing. P. Eur. Dr.?) you instantly lose all credibility :smile:

Of course I do, I worked hard to get it :wink: If it is relevant for your work, why wouldn't you use it? When I send e-mails to colleagues or my hairdresser I always leave out the signature.

Related to Academic title in your e-mail signature

What is an academic title in an e-mail signature?

An academic title in an e-mail signature is a designation that indicates a person's educational achievement or professional qualifications. It is typically included in the signature section of an e-mail to provide credibility and establish authority.

What are some common academic titles?

Some common academic titles include Doctor (Dr.), Professor (Prof.), Master (M.), Bachelor (B.), and Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy). These titles are usually followed by the person's name and are used to convey their level of education or expertise in a particular field.

Do I need to include my academic title in my e-mail signature?

Including your academic title in your e-mail signature is not mandatory, but it is considered a professional courtesy, especially in academic or formal settings. It can also help establish your credentials and convey your expertise to the recipient.

How should I format my academic title in my e-mail signature?

Your academic title should be placed after your name and separated by a comma. For example, "John Smith, Ph.D." or "Jane Doe, Prof." You can also choose to include your academic title in the same font size and style as the rest of your signature or use a smaller font size for a more subtle approach.

Can I use multiple academic titles in my e-mail signature?

If you hold multiple academic titles, it is best to choose the one that is most relevant to the recipient or the context of the e-mail. You can also use multiple academic titles, separated by commas, if they are all relevant and add value to your signature. However, it is important not to overdo it and make your signature too long or cluttered.