Abstract Vector Basis: Necessary & Sufficient Condition for Plane Representation

In summary: You can only solve for a and b if the vectors are in the same plane. If u and v are not in the same plane, you can't solve for a and b.
PcumP_Ravenclaw

Homework Statement

Suppose that ## u = s_1i + s_2j ## and ## v = t_1i + t_2j ##, where s1, s2, t1 and t2 are real
numbers. Find a necessary and sufficient condition on these real numbers
such that every vector in the plane of i and j can be expressed as a linear
combination of the vectors u and v.

Homework Equations

We shall need to consider directed line segments, and we denote the directed
line segment from the point a to the point b by [a, b]. Specifically, [a, b] is the
set of points {a + t(b − a) : 0 ≤ t ≤ 1},

The Attempt at a Solution

As attached.

Attachments

• q3_4.1.jpg
    q3_4.1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Phrase it this way: if ##\vec w = x \; \hat\imath + y \; \hat \jmath## then what do you have to do to write it as ## \vec w = a \; \vec u + b\; \vec v## ?
When can you do that and when can you not do that ?

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
BvU said:
Phrase it this way: if ##\vec w = x \; \hat\imath + y \; \hat \jmath## then what do you have to do to write it as ## \vec w = a \; \vec u + b\; \vec v## ?
When can you do that and when can you not do that ?

## \vec u = s_1 \vec i+ s_2 \vec j ##

## \vec v = t_1 \vec i+ t_2 \vec j ##

## x = a s_1 + b t_1 ##

## y = a s_2 + b t_2 ##

PcumP_Ravenclaw said:

## x = a s_1 + b t_1 ##

## y = a s_2 + b t_2 ##
Is it always possible to solve for a and b? What if u or v is the zero vector? What if u and v are equal? What if u is a nonzero multiple of v?

You have a very simple space here -- the plane. The question boils down to this: what does it take for two vectors to span a plane?

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
PcumP_Ravenclaw said:

## x = a s_1 + b t_1 ##

## y = a s_2 + b t_2 ##
So, try to solve for a and b and see what you get !

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
I believe I have only found two/three cases that restrict the coefficients of u and v. I have attached my solution.

Attachments

• Abstract_vect_4.1.jpg
    Abstract_vect_4.1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 392
Solving for a and b means you express the unknowns a and b in terms of the knowns, x, y, s1, s2, t1 and t2.

Related to Abstract Vector Basis: Necessary & Sufficient Condition for Plane Representation

1. What is an abstract vector basis?

An abstract vector basis is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a given vector space. It serves as a building block for creating new vectors through linear combinations.

2. What is the necessary condition for plane representation using an abstract vector basis?

The necessary condition for plane representation is that the two vectors in the abstract vector basis must be linearly independent, meaning that they cannot be expressed as a multiple of each other.

3. What is the sufficient condition for plane representation using an abstract vector basis?

The sufficient condition for plane representation is that the two vectors in the abstract vector basis must span the entire plane, meaning that any vector in the plane can be expressed as a linear combination of the two basis vectors.

4. Why is an abstract vector basis important in representing planes?

An abstract vector basis allows for a more efficient and general approach to representing planes. It can be used in any vector space, making it a versatile tool for representing different types of planes.

5. How is the abstract vector basis related to linear algebra?

The concept of an abstract vector basis is an important component of linear algebra, as it allows for the representation and manipulation of vectors in a vector space. It also serves as the foundation for many other linear algebra concepts and operations.