Unit Vectors as a Function of Time?

In summary, it is possible to define unit vectors as a function of time, as shown in the example of a yo-yo spinning in a circle. In this case, the unit vector changes direction with time, but its length remains constant at 1. This is possible because a unit vector has two properties, length and direction, and only the direction needs to vary in this case.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

Say I have a vector F something like

F
= c1(t) x^ + c2(t) y^

were c1 and c2 are some scalar functions of time were you plug in time to into the equation and are given some magnitude.

My question seems to be can we define unit vectors/basis vector as a function of time as well? Something like

F = c1(t) x^(t) + c2(t) y^(t)

where the unit vector changes with time?

I have always considered unit vectors as being something with a magnitude of one and one defined direction which remains constant. However can I vary the direction of the unit vector as a function of time?

I remember during simple problems in high school physics were you spin a yo yo in a circle at a certain acceleration etc. and we defined "radially inward" from the yo yo as being positive. From the reference of the yo yo the unit vector in this case never changes direction, it's always directly upwards or directly downwards depending on how you look at it. I depict this in the first attached photo. I think in high school we may have even over looked defining the unit vector in this way.

However could I define my system in a way were I move the frame of reference from the center of the yo yo to the center of the circle? In this case my unit vectors which I am defining span the x y plane partially in a doughnut shape that is always one unit above the yo yo at all times. In this case however my unit vector changes direction with time. At the point the yo yo is at it's top point the unit vector is directly downwards, and when it's at it's lowest point it's in the completely opposite direction. This makes my unit vector a function of time. Is it possible to define the system this way? I would assume it's possible, it would over complicate it, but I'm just wondering if it's possible to define unit vectors as a function of time?

Sorry if I didn't explain my question to well.

IMG_20160127_214240722_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160127_214246921_HDR.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In cylindrical- and spherical coordinates, the unit vectors depend on the spatial coordinates. So, if you move from one location to another, the unit vectors in the coordinate directions change.

Ah ok thanks I didn't think of that.

YoshiMoshi said:

Homework Statement

Say I have a vector F something like

F
= c1(t) x^ + c2(t) y^

were c1 and c2 are some scalar functions of time were you plug in time to into the equation and are given some magnitude.

My question seems to be can we define unit vectors/basis vector as a function of time as well? Something like

F = c1(t) x^(t) + c2(t) y^(t)

where the unit vector changes with time?

I have always considered unit vectors as being something with a magnitude of one and one defined direction which remains constant. However can I vary the direction of the unit vector as a function of time?

I remember during simple problems in high school physics were you spin a yo yo in a circle at a certain acceleration etc. and we defined "radially inward" from the yo yo as being positive. From the reference of the yo yo the unit vector in this case never changes direction, it's always directly upwards or directly downwards depending on how you look at it. I depict this in the first attached photo. I think in high school we may have even over looked defining the unit vector in this way.

However could I define my system in a way were I move the frame of reference from the center of the yo yo to the center of the circle? In this case my unit vectors which I am defining span the x y plane partially in a doughnut shape that is always one unit above the yo yo at all times. In this case however my unit vector changes direction with time. At the point the yo yo is at it's top point the unit vector is directly downwards, and when it's at it's lowest point it's in the completely opposite direction. This makes my unit vector a function of time. Is it possible to define the system this way? I would assume it's possible, it would over complicate it, but I'm just wondering if it's possible to define unit vectors as a function of time?

Sorry if I didn't explain my question to well.

View attachment 94920 View attachment 94921

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Certainly we can have time-dependent unit vectors, even in a Cartesian coordinate system. Just paint unit vectors on the side of the yo-yo, for example.

A vector has two properties- length and direction. A unit vector has constant length, 1, but its direction can be a function of t.

Related to Unit Vectors as a Function of Time?

1. What are unit vectors as a function of time?

Unit vectors as a function of time refer to the change in direction and magnitude of a unit vector over time. A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is used to represent a direction in space.

2. How are unit vectors expressed as a function of time?

Unit vectors as a function of time are expressed using a parametric equation, where the x, y, and z components of the unit vector are functions of time. This allows for the unit vector to change in direction and magnitude as time progresses.

3. What is the significance of unit vectors as a function of time in physics?

In physics, unit vectors as a function of time are used to represent the motion and direction of objects over time. By tracking the changes in a unit vector, we can determine the velocity and acceleration of an object.

4. How are unit vectors as a function of time used in engineering?

In engineering, unit vectors as a function of time are used to model and analyze the motion of objects, such as in robotics and aerospace engineering. They also play a crucial role in solving problems involving forces and moments in structures and machines.

5. Can unit vectors as a function of time change direction and magnitude simultaneously?

Yes, unit vectors as a function of time can change both direction and magnitude simultaneously. This is because the x, y, and z components of the unit vector are functions of time, allowing for changes in both direction and magnitude to occur as time progresses.