Abstract Algebra, Euclidean Algorithm

In summary, using the Euclidean Algorithm, we can find the gcd of the polynomials (x^3 - ix^2 + 4x - 4i) and (x^2 + 1) in C[x] to be x - i. However, to simplify, we can also express it as 1/3 (1 + i). Great job on your work so far!
kuahji
Use the Euclidean Algorithm to find the gcd of the given polynomials:

(x3-ix2+4x-4i)/(x2+1) in C[x]

First I got x-i R: 3x-3i, then I took the 3x-3i into x2+1 & got 1/3 x R: 1+i. Then I was going to take 1+i into 3x-3i. However that never ends it seems, unless I just confused myself.

The answer in the back of the book is just x-i for the gcd. So I'm thinking I should have stopped earlier, & believe I'm just over looking something simple. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, great job using the Euclidean Algorithm to find the gcd of these polynomials! You are definitely on the right track, but it seems like you may have made a small mistake along the way.

Let's go through the steps together to see where things may have gone wrong:

1. Divide x^3 - ix^2 + 4x - 4i by x^2 + 1:
(x^3 - ix^2 + 4x - 4i) / (x^2 + 1) = x - i

2. Now, we need to find the remainder when (x^2 + 1) is divided by (x - i). This is where you got stuck, but it's important to remember that we are working in the complex numbers (C[x]), so we can have complex numbers as coefficients in our polynomials.

(x^2 + 1) / (x - i) = (x - i)(x + i) / (x - i) = x + i

3. Now, we can continue with the Euclidean Algorithm:
(x - i) / (x + i) = 1/3 (x - i) + 2/3 (1 + i)

4. Finally, we divide (x + i) by 1/3 (x - i) + 2/3 (1 + i):
(1 + i) / (1/3 (x - i) + 2/3 (1 + i)) = 1/3 (1 + i)

Therefore, the gcd of (x^3 - ix^2 + 4x - 4i) and (x^2 + 1) in C[x] is 1/3 (1 + i). However, we can simplify this further to just x - i, which is the same as the answer in the back of the book.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

Related to Abstract Algebra, Euclidean Algorithm

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the underlying principles and properties of these structures, rather than specific numerical computations.

2. What is the Euclidean algorithm?

The Euclidean algorithm is a method for finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two integers. It involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number until the remainder is 0, and the last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

3. How is the Euclidean algorithm related to abstract algebra?

The Euclidean algorithm is related to abstract algebra through the concept of Euclidean domains, which are commutative rings with a division algorithm. The Euclidean algorithm is used to find the GCD in these domains, which are an important algebraic structure in abstract algebra.

4. What are the applications of abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra has numerous applications in various fields, including cryptography, coding theory, physics, and computer science. It is also used in pure mathematics, particularly in algebraic geometry and number theory.

5. Is abstract algebra difficult to learn?

Abstract algebra can be challenging to learn, as it involves new concepts and ways of thinking compared to other branches of mathematics. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to develop a strong understanding of the subject.